LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rFactor - how-to

+7
Tuktuk
DANDY
See Flat
alphonse
Kenners
kopje
Pax-raider
11 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

rFactor - how-to Empty rFactor - how-to

Post  Pax-raider Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Good to C you again SF, and DANDY too.

OK, so lets say if someone were, hypothetically of course, going to run Rfactor on his/her Mac today, what would be the best way to do it? I seem to remember DANDY et al having to jump thru some hoops to get it to work but I'm guessing the method may have changed and hopefully improved?

Its funny that we are all still sticking around despite the fetid corpse that is RL being in front of our noses. Must be something deep down that we can't let go...
Pax-raider
Pax-raider
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 281
Humor : Eddie Izzard, Python
Favorite Car : Ferrari 156 Sharknose
Favorite Track : Monaco
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

rFactor - how-to Empty Re: rFactor - how-to

Post  kopje Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:06 pm

Pax-raider wrote:

OK, so lets say if someone were, hypothetically of course, going to run Rfactor on his/her Mac today, what would be the best way to do it? I seem to remember DANDY et al having to jump thru some hoops to get it to work but I'm guessing the method may have changed and hopefully improved?

Its funny that we are all still sticking around despite the fetid corpse that is RL being in front of our noses. Must be something deep down that we can't let go...

I'm running rFactor under parallel and windows 7. No issues at all, it works great at 1280x1024 16bits

kop

kopje
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:21 pm

kopje wrote:
Pax-raider wrote:

I'm running rFactor under parallel and windows 7. No issues at all, it works great at 1280x1024 16bits

kop

I'll have to try it under Parallels (Win XP); seems like in the past, it wasn't quite playable enough for me (now I have a new Mac Pro). I also remember trying it under Crossover 8, same kinda thing. I've definitely booted into XP (bootcamp) to have the best experience.

The server Dandy set up to host rFactor was called "L'il RLer Server" or something like that. We could meet there to practice, post links to whatever cars & tracks are needed here..?

K

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Kenners wrote:
The server Dandy set up to host rFactor was called "L'il RLer Server" or something like that. We could meet there to practice, post links to whatever cars & tracks are needed here..?

That's what i meant - «what where how in rFactor for dummies» like me in this relation.

Wink
alphonse
alphonse

Number of posts : 449
Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...
Humor : from black to white (no racism in here)
Favorite Car : Porsche 968, Mini, some C2's, of course the Alfa TCC Wink
Favorite Track : Monaco GP, Imola, Spa
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Howdy guys.

Kenners, you seem to be almost up and running. Look for me on track (John Brenner). Until Dandy locks me into one of his hard to drive vehicles, I try to get a few runs in everynight in the Meganne games. Sometimes too rowdy for me, but often quite good with always 6 to 10 players. (If i remember from 18 months ago Dandy did not like those series)

I dont thing Dandy has a server at this time... but not sure. We have not talked about that, and have only been communicating, very briefly, for the last few days.

I am actually surprised that you are running Rfactor with Parallel's.I use parallel's all the time to run my accounting software and do my taxes, but I have always run Rfactor from bootcamp.

To anyone tempted

Rfactor is not complex at all if you dont want it to be. The only bad thing starting from scratch is all the damn plugs. But redline, if you were not there from the start was also a nightmare until Legacy made it easy. To me, the race2play site that Dandy pointed me too is the LOL for Rfactor. Once you join up to a free account you have access to all the files you need to play with your friends. I did my first race last night. It's pretty amazing to see a second after the race is over that all the positions are posted, and if you click on your name you see the times of every single lap you did. Kind of make me shutter at the memory of me entering all that info manually in a spreadsheet and then uploading it to LOL Wink

Pax-raider! hi, so cool to see many of the old gang considering giving a reunion in a foreign windowed land a shot. I never had anything against redline, but the best thing it had going for it was the community. Believe me, I still hate windows, but Rfactor is light years ahead of Redline even if it's four years old. Version two is expected in 2012.

This being said, never jumped through hoops to get it running. Always just ran bootcamp with Rfactor, teamspeak and safari as the only programs on that partition. (apart from and antivirus) The only hastle at first is getting the files installed. Joinning Race2Play solves all that. Everything is there in one location for you to get up and running with friends. There is are also user accounts with blogs and mail so we can communicate. Easy to point a fellow user to files etc.

Alphonse! Salut mon pot! heureux de voir que tu est en contact.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the kids more than the job. Humanity... that's what we lack in this digital age! Such irony that I am here promoting virtual play. This is a paradox of my disdain of social networking. hehe

Leo, dont know if you even look in here anymore, but you, just no having pulled the plug and walked away from all this reflects just how much of a pillar of this Redline community you were. I think most of us know that Redline could have never become what it was in it's peak without this place pulling developers and players together. I raise my glass to you.

When I dropped redline a few years ago, I never tried to heavily promote crossing over to anyone. I respected all the work and effort everyone in this community put into the game (much more than ambrosia) and did not want to purposefully pull players away from a dying game. It has now been two years and I think from what I see that it is a lost cause. You probably have less games and less players than you ever did. So it occurred to me to come and peek in here to see if anyone was interested in some races with some of the old gang.

Cheers

John aka Sf
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 303
Interests : Music / Redline
Favorite Car : Volvo S60R STCC
Registration date : 2008-08-29

http://legacyoflies.com/tcc/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  DANDY Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:17 am

EDIT: thanks for the thread split!

In the wider sim world, people often race multiple sims, be it the latest and greatest or the oldie but goodie. To me that makes this discussion kosher, while not attempting to downplay the fun to be had in good ol' Redline.

As SF said, rFactor offers a whole 'nother level of sim racing. The kind with Practice, Qualifying, and Race sessions with standing or rolling starts, with or without formation lap, plus marshal flags...the options go on and on. It also takes a lot of time to set up a car for each race, as opposed to the 'fixed' setups virtually imposed by RL. It's geared far more toward 'serious effort' racing than casual, jump-in-and-hoon hijinks. One can get either from both rF and RL, but each has its specialty, and neither is for everyone.

I've got access to Kenners' server now. With his blessing, I'll load it up with the mods/tracks for races team members are signed up for. (To join the team, grab a free account at race2play.com and msg me through R2P mail).
Currently, those are:
MODS:
edit: see sig
(above are packed windows .exe from content mirrored at rFactor Central)

I'm open to feedback on server content and format.

Finally, contrary to popular belief, there is a manual included with rFactor, it's just buried in the Support folder Arrow

Have fun, whatever you're doing!

Last edited by DANDY on Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:31 am; edited 4 times in total
DANDY
DANDY
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 323
Interests : Auto/Moto (Virtual and actual), Tunes
Humor : Saint-Louis du Ha! Ha!
Favorite Car : 2002 tii
Favorite Track : Schwarzer Wald

http://www.race2play.com/team/prw

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:52 am

ok - split.

I ll show up if i manage to do so Wink

alf
alphonse
alphonse

Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...

Back to top Go down

Post  kopje Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:40 am

See Flat wrote:Howdy guys.

I am actually surprised that you are running Rfactor with Parallel's.I use parallel's all the time to run my accounting software and do my taxes, but I have always run Rfactor from bootcamp.

Cheers

John aka Sf

Eh, I forgot my specs: I'm running parallel on an iMac 27" with an intel i5 2.66 GHz and 8GB of RAM, video card is an ati radeon with 512MB of video ram.
The virtual machine has 2 processors and 2GB of ram. Everything's fine.

kop

kopje
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:26 am

Just an FYI-

When I first tried rFactor, I was stumped at how to find servers... OK, this is a "duh", but they're listed in-game. Occasionally I've had to refresh the list to see "L'il RLer Server"...

K

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:31 am

i am so confused and scared but will play with my big boy pants and try all i can...

alf
alphonse
alphonse

Back to top Go down

Post  Pax-raider Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:11 pm

What about the version of 'doze? I think I have an XP disk somewhere and from what I can find on the rFactor site this should be fine, but is there any advantage of using either vista or 7?

I've never used Boot Camp either, it sounds like a separate HD partition is the way to go?

Sorry for the newbie PC questions, tried to minimize my exposure to them for a long time... clown
Pax-raider
Pax-raider
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 281
Humor : Eddie Izzard, Python
Favorite Car : Ferrari 156 Sharknose
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Pax-raider wrote:
What about the version of 'doze? I think I have an XP disk somewhere and from what I can find on the rFactor site this should be fine, but is there any advantage of using either vista or 7?

I've never used Boot Camp either, it sounds like a separate HD partition is the way to go?

Sorry for the newbie PC questions, tried to minimize my exposure to them for a long time... clown

I think if you're going to dink with 'doze, do the boot camp thing. Then, Parallels can use the same 'doze install if you want to do that.

K

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DANDY Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Pax-raider wrote:
XP is fine, vista is garbage, 7 is best, but takes the most tweaking and re-learning as it's pre-configured with a ton of crappy 'features'.
DANDY
DANDY
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Pax-raider wrote:
What about the version of 'doze?

I use XP, less space and is fine since all you want is run Rfactor.

EDIT: just saw that "L'il RLer Server" is up. As kenners mentioned, the number of servers is daunting at first compared to what we were used to on Redline.

When you click on join, it's like a finder window.
You can chose to sort by game (server) series (meganne etc.) players and such.
When you click on that upper description it will sort all games by that criteria and you can just search in alphabetical order.

Cheers
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuktuk Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Is rFactor playable with keyboard only too?

Tuktuk
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post  DANDY Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 am

Tuktuk wrote:Is rFactor playable with keyboard only too?
Yes, including adjustable sensitivity.

Re: Team
I may not be able to see new accounts right away. If interested, send me an R2P message through the team page (my website link), or PM with a link to your R2P homepage.
DANDY
DANDY
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:33 pm

I'm having trouble joining L'il RLer Server...

When I select it in the list, and click join, after a couple moments I get a timed out message.

I know John's been on there; I saw yesterday that Kopje tried to join, but got a mismatch error... If the server records some kind of mismatch, does the one joining get a "timed out" message & thats it? Then again, maybe not - I just looked at the server, and it recorded no messages regarding me trying to join...

I assume the ports I have open are correct, since John's been on there...

Any hints for me to try? I have Windows Firewall OFF on the computer I'm playing on; not sure what else to check.

Kenners

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:29 pm

same happened here.
joined - then got a disconnect.

pretty funny.
"what else do you expect from windoze?"

or what?
Wink alf
alphonse
alphonse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:06 pm

alphonse wrote:same happened here.
joined - then got a disconnect.

pretty funny.
"what else do you expect from windoze?"

or what?
Wink alf

If this was in the last 3-4 hours, your attempt to log in wasn't logged by the server.. In my case, I never even got joined, the attempt just timed out.

I just finished confirming that the router at the office is properly set up to forward the 3 necessary ports to the server.

*sigh*

Kenners

I'm having another issue - I've downloaded the enduracers LeMans mods twice & installed twice, and I'm getting MAS errors on any of the cars in the mod.. Is there a dependency on a prev version of the mod that must be installed?

K

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:47 pm

it was 20 hours ago.

as for endurance - i just downloaded - installed manually and all is working smooth here.

alf
alphonse
alphonse

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Kenners wrote:I'm having trouble joining L'il RLer Server...

I know John's been on there; I saw yesterday that Kopje tried to join, but got a mismatch error... If the server records some kind of mismatch, does the one joining get a "timed out" message & thats it?

Kenners

I left a message to Dandy last night about this very thing. After having previously used the server successfully, trying yesterday gave me the timed out error.
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DANDY Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:06 pm

See Flat wrote:
I left a message to Dandy last night about this very thing. After having previously used the server successfully, trying yesterday gave me the timed out error.
I restarted the server app after that, but haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. I'll take a look later tonight.
I realize as well that some people may be using rFactor lite (100MB vs 1GB), which will cause a mismatch since the car I loaded (Panoz) isn't included.
While I check issues, I'll also load it up with the Megane Mod and Road Atlanta track so we're all on the same page.
links:
Road Atlanta/Petit LeMans
Megane Trophy

Last edited by DANDY on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added links)
DANDY
DANDY
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:23 pm

I logged onto the server and restarted the server (!)... Still no joy. I wonder why: There's no listed ping, and in game, the server seems to appear & disappear... I wanted to force a reboot of the computer, but when you're logged on using Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection, Shut Down isn't listed; instead it says end session. Anybody know how to force a reboot of XP using the "Run.." command or the command prompt?

K

OK, figured out how to force a reboot; I was able to enter the race after doing so - see if it works for you too..

K

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Kenners wrote:

OK, figured out how to force a reboot; I was able to enter the race after doing so - see if it works for you too..

K

I'm at work but after reading your post i tried to log on. Got the same "Join Timed Out" error.

(EDIT dont have the time... around 10:45) Just tried it and connected without any issues. Should be home by about 1 am and will log on and try the track and car at that time.

Cheers
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:07 am

With the troubles I was having with MAS errors & such, I deleted everything I could that was rF related, and downloaded & reinstalled the mods. Everything's working now; but when I join the server, I'm not a participant.. Can't race. Is this because I need to have some experience first or something?

Kenners

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next