LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New MacBook Pro 13", FAIL!

4 posters

Go down

New MacBook Pro 13", FAIL! Empty New MacBook Pro 13", FAIL!

Post  DonaemouS Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:25 am

Today I had the chance to place my hands on the brand new MacBook Pro with sandy bridge... The CPU is a great boost compared to the previous generation, and is not a news, thx to the speed bump offered by the sandybridge technology, but the GPU is a FAIL!!! Especially on the MacBook Pro 13", and I wonder how we can call "Pro" a system with integrated graphics.

New MacBook Pro 13", FAIL! Schermata20110225a11552

From the picture above, you can see how the previous generation of GeForce GT 320M is faster compared to the HD3000 integrated_on_die intel graphic chipset!

The thing go a little better with the entry level AMD Radeon 6490 (the AMD 64xx chip generation is low budget):

New MacBook Pro 13", FAIL! Schermata20110225a12024

Now the CPU... No words... But was easy to understand. Sandybridge lead the pack giving to the MacBook Pro 13" the same CPU crunch performance of the previous top end MacBook Pro 15":

New MacBook Pro 13", FAIL! Schermata20110225a11580

While on the MacBook Pro 15" side, giving to the new notebook the same performance of the iMac Core i7 desktops:

New MacBook Pro 13", FAIL! Schermata20110225a11584

It mean, Apple is still sleeping in the OpenGL world, also cause the Lion next OS update will introduce OpenGL 3.1 support (the AMD Radeon 6490 is OpenGL 4.1 compliant). Also, the OpenCL environment in which Apple should be involved (nVidia is developing CUDA, kicking the rest of the manufactures ass) is still in the limbo. How they could push the OpenCL acceleration pedal, while using HD3000 Intel chipsets?!?

But mainly, how a 1149 Euros (1199 dollars) professional system, can feature an integrated chipset?
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Number of posts : 742
Favorite Car : BMW M Coupe
Favorite Track : Nordschleife
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://www.games4mac.it

Back to top Go down

New MacBook Pro 13", FAIL! Empty Re: New MacBook Pro 13", FAIL!

Post  NoNameBrand Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:00 pm

Apple was between a rock and a hard place, since there are no chipsets for the i3/i5/i7 CPUs that have non-Intel integrated graphics— that's why they skipped the previous generation of i3/i5s in favour of the Core 2. I'm not sure they could stick with a C2D for another generation in this market. The CPU is such a leap forward that for most people this is a significant upgrade.

The base 15" is also worse than the previous one in terms of GPU ability. They did have a similarly neutered 15" in 2009, with only the integrated nVidia chip that the then 13" and Minis had.

I'm super excited about Thunderbolt— there's a pretty decent chance that when I (eventually) replace this Mac Pro it'll be with a Mini, with these awesome quad core mobile chips and a RAID box hanging off the Thunderbolt port.

NoNameBrand
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 321
Interests : guitar, photography
Humor : ...is properly spelled 'humour'.
Favorite Track : Spa-Francorchamps

http://lonelyfridge.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:49 am

NoNameBrand wrote:I'm super excited about Thunderbolt— there's a pretty decent chance that when I (eventually) replace this Mac Pro it'll be with a Mini, with these awesome quad core mobile chips and a RAID box hanging off the Thunderbolt port.
In a couple of weeks, will be release a third parties Light Peak controller as well for Mac Pro. Also cause the Mac Pro will not get a revision before the 2012.
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:40 am

DonaemouS wrote:In a couple of weeks, will be release a third parties Light Peak controller as well for Mac Pro.
I'm very interested in the possibilities of Thunderbolt. I think it will take time but it could be very cool for all kinds of applications. I was reading a couple of days ago about the switch from optical (Light Peak) to copper (Thunderbolt) and how it was done by Intel to keep the cost of parts low.

Everything about the copper system is equivalent to the optical except the maximum cable length is now 3 metres instead of 100 metres! The positive side is that the optical version could not carry power but the copper can. Intel plans to develop a cable with integrated copper to optical converter for people who want to use very long cables (for example for use as a videocamera connector in a studio situation or for shared storage environments.)
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 691

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:01 am

Looks like everyone here is pretty much on the same page, kind of a disappointment with these new machines. Even the high end i7 has only a mid level graphic processor, and that's going to set you back between $2500 and $3000+ (€1790 and €2145) to max the ram and a faster drive.

I needed a new MBP, but for now, Thunderhole can't do much for me. So I nabbed a refurb 2.66GHz core2duo 13" on Apple's site for $1010 (€722). Over to OWC, for 8g ram, and a 128g SSD drive for a toadal of $357 (€255). Put the stock 320g 5400 drive in an inclosure. Spent $100 less than the stock new 13" 2.7GHz, getting better graphics performance, and good enough processing. Not a good gaming setup, but I'm calling the whole thing pretty.

Aside: Was running rFactor on my iMac on lowish settings, but the poor thing blew up in a race (logic board, was able to walk away from the wreck). I was considering building a very competent PC to replace it ($1200) but for many reasons have decided to go back to more casual racing. I suspect the new little MBP will handle Redline just fine, and I hope to see you all again soon.

Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 184
Interests : Nortons
Humor : What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
Favorite Track : Mugello

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:07 am

Toad wrote:Aside: Was running rFactor on my iMac on lowish settings, but the poor thing blew up in a race (logic board, was able to walk away from the wreck). I was considering building a very competent PC to replace it ($1200) but for many reasons have decided to go back to more casual racing.
You don't need it. I can help you to choose the hardware for a good Hackintosh. Otherwise, you can play rFactor on the MacBook 13" as well, cause of the GeForce 320M and Crossover. rFactor run perfect here.

On another topic I just ordered a Sapphire Radeon HD5770 with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM, Dual DVI and HDMI for about 93 Euros B2B price. I will flash this video card to work inside my Mac Pro. Stay tuned!!! Twisted Evil

New MacBook Pro 13", FAIL! Sapphireradeon5770
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:13 am

Toad wrote:I suspect the new little MBP will handle Redline just fine, and I hope to see you all again soon.
Looking forward to it. Smile
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 691

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down