LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traffic in Vietnam

5 posters

Go down

Traffic in Vietnam Empty Traffic in Vietnam

Post  Tomte Mon May 24, 2010 3:43 am

I just came back from a 3 week vacation in Vietnam. There is so much to tell about this country, so I will limit myself to one aspect: traffic.

I still have to sift through some 1600 photos (thanks to 2 digital cameras in constant use...), but I thought I share this little clip I made in Saigon.

I plan to do a head count over a one minute period, I bet the streets have a by far higher traffic throughput than our quiet European roads.

Further impressions to follow.
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 559
Interests : my daughter... hardly any time for anything else
Humor : I'm German. Was ist Humor?
Favorite Car : I'm not the driver, I'm the mechanic.
Favorite Track : Spa-Francorchamps
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Traffic in Vietnam Empty Re: Traffic in Vietnam

Post  Tuktuk Mon May 24, 2010 1:18 pm

Yeah these are impressive impressions - especially while bikes are crossing. This means they drive more chaotic but much more non-egoistic by relaxed and anticipatory driving.

Or is western world's driving style more chaotic ... ?

I heard from other Europen visitors which nearly got heart attacks while participating Vietnam's traffic. I guess you have to forget everything what you have learned and just have to trust them.

Tuktuk
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Mon May 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Tomte wrote:I just came back from a 3 week vacation in Vietnam. There is so much to tell about this country, so I will limit myself to one aspect: traffic.

I still have to sift through some 1600 photos (thanks to 2 digital cameras in constant use...), but I thought I share this little clip I made in Saigon.

I plan to do a head count over a one minute period, I bet the streets have a by far higher traffic throughput than our quiet European roads.

Further impressions to follow.
Seems like you'd actually have to pay attention to drive in Vietnam. See anybody texting while driving? Didn't think so; all the texting drivers are long since DEAD. Very Happy

k

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Mon May 24, 2010 2:46 pm

impressive traffic indeed - thanks for sharing tomte and welcome back Wink

alf
alphonse
alphonse

Number of posts : 449
Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...
Humor : from black to white (no racism in here)
Favorite Car : Porsche 968, Mini, some C2's, of course the Alfa TCC Wink
Favorite Track : Monaco GP, Imola, Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Mon May 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Kenners wrote:
Seems like you'd actually have to pay attention to drive in Vietnam. See anybody texting while driving? Didn't think so; all the texting drivers are long since DEAD. Very Happy

k
The thing is that it all flows quite well as long as there are only a handful of cars but tons of motorbikes/scooters/bicycles (like in Saigon). In Hanoi, there were many more cars, so you got proper traffic jams at rush hours.

The basic principle on the road is that nobody has any rights. All drive very opportunistic while watching that they are not getting hurt. Like that, they actually do look if they impede somebody else because they know that they can get hurt them.
Traffic lights are only for cars and only if they don't want to turn right OR left. The rest do what they can to get where they want.
Crossing a road is an exercise in confidence. They will avoid you as long as you go your pace, don't stop, hesitate or change direction suddenly. It doesn't matter if you try to cross a traffic stream in a car, on 2 wheels or by foot. It all flows around you like a swarm of fishes... apart from the fact that fishes don't honk every 2 seconds.

Traffic in Vietnam P1000210

And yes, you can basically transport everything on a bike...
Traffic in Vietnam P1000212

Traffic in Vietnam Img_3410

Apart from that. I saw bike riders calling, holding the phone in the left hand (thanks to a semi-automatic gearbox). Of course, car drivers text as well, but not as regularly as in Europe and North America.
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 559
Interests : my daughter... hardly any time for anything else
Humor : I'm German. Was ist Humor?
Favorite Car : I'm not the driver, I'm the mechanic.
Favorite Track : Spa-Francorchamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Superslow Mon May 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Hope you had a good trip!

re traffic: looks like Cairo, only replace about 90% of the bikes with cars/trucks/semis. Oh, and make everything brown. Razz

Reminds me of this, too:

Superslow
Superslow
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 128
Interests : Redline, guitar, ATVing, wakeboarding, racquetball, photography, martial arts
Humor : **insert your favorite joke here**
Favorite Car : too many...
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://foreverjoe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down