LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tsunami live video in Monterey, maybe

2 posters

Go down

Tsunami live video in Monterey, maybe Empty Tsunami live video in Monterey, maybe

Post  Toad Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:07 pm

As most of you know a devastating earthquake has hit Chile, causing many deaths and great destruction. Along with the earthquake it seems a large Tsunami was also generated that is moving across the entire Pacific Ocean a great speed (somewhere in the vicinity of 500 mph). 800kph?

I live on the central coast of California and we have been given a warning about it here. It's only supposed to be about 5 ft (1.6 m). Not likely to do much damage to us, but that it should still be interesting to see as the tide will still be a couple of feet above mean height at 21UTC when it arrives. The sea is calm now, so should the prediction hold up (questionable as they often err on the high side with these things) we may be able to watch it come ashore live. I'm going to a clients house nearby the sea (40ft above sea level to watch and film) but here are two video cam links of the same beach in case any of you care to join me. One is static, but more panoramic, the other is video.

http://205.155.65.48/indexFrame.shtml?newstyle=One&cam=1
http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/DelMonteBeach/webcams/2530

If you see me in the water I'm drowning not waving!
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 184
Interests : Nortons
Humor : What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
Favorite Track : Mugello
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Tsunami live video in Monterey, maybe Empty Re: Tsunami live video in Monterey, maybe

Post  Toad Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Tsunami Report: a colossal 9.0 on the seismic FAil scale for my town being wiped out today.

Apparently, it helps that these earthquake Tsunami's be closer to you than 10,000 miles away.

After sitting around for and hour, about all we could hope for was that the couple of cop Chevy Tahoe's on beach would

get swept out to sea with all their red lights a blazing.
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Tsunami live video in Monterey, maybe Empty Re: Tsunami live video in Monterey, maybe

Post  leoantix Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:12 pm

glad you weren't swept away by the ocean but only by the media and its frenzy Cool

and that second link with the panoramic shot is awesome ... you guys have some great beaches out there
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 657
Interests : construction, racing, women, quake
Humor : is purely optional
Favorite Car : sauber c9, radical sr4 & sr8
Favorite Track : lime rock, pembrey, monza
Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.legacyoflies.com/?p=home

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:10 pm

leoantix wrote:glad you weren't swept away by the ocean but only by the media and its frenzy Cool...

A true enough statement Leo. I learned something about this though. The "authorities", abetted by the media were happy to just toss out these times for the tsunami, but when nothing happened everyone went about their business again. Actually they were off by about four and a half hours on the arrival time. It did show up, late, with only about a 2 to 3 feet rise and not really dangerous to anyone. But it could have been different. The takeaway for me is to always question authority.

And yes it is beautiful here, just North of Big Sur.
If you are interested here's a Flickr link that has some of the most spectacular beaches and vistas anywhere. It's a state owned park called Point Lobos.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=point+lobos&m=text

On another note I just finished the Bergen to Oslo train ride in hi def 7hrs downloaded from a free legal torrent. Stunning. So makes me want to go. Snow, and Northern lights. Georgeous. What's it like where you all live?
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down