LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff)

+7
alphonse
amped™
Tomte
Tuktuk
DonaemouS
djpimley
Battlewagon
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 Empty Vette Convertibles 1.5 Released. November 17th, 2009.

Post  Battlewagon Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:50 am

Vette Convertibles Plug-in for Redline, Version 1.5 released.
November 17th, 2009

You may download it from Filefront:

http://www.filefront.com/14940767/VetteConvertibles_1.5.zip

or the Legacy of Lies Developer Uploads Server:

http://www.legacyoflies.com/devuploads/battlewagon/VetteConvertibles_1.5.zip

This plug-in was originally meant to be a "collectible" plug-in of sorts to hold you all over until I released my upcoming Vette Pack. The beta testing process for this plug also yielded vital data towards the Vette Pack's development, so I need to thank everyone who participated in the testing process. In particular, I should thank Thomm, Tomte, NoNameBrand, Renesis, DJPimley, Kishkumen, and the many other people in the Redline community who gave me expert advice, as well as, sometimes, actual parts to work with. For example, Thomm gave me an Exige sound which was first used as the sound for the L88, but which now has been replaced with some new sound files which I think are more accurate. Kishkumen, on the other hand, gave me the idea for photorealistic gauges in Version 1.2, and I could city many more examples. An additional thank you must be given to Jonas Echterhoff, Marcus Conge, David Drew, and the Redline development team, not only for producing a great game, but also for developing the original C3 Corvette model that forms the original car that this Redplug is based on. In fact, come to think of it, I've changed so many other things that it's the only original thing left in the car.

In any case, getting to the story of this latest version...this update is intended to bring the Vette Convertibles pack in line with the standards of the new Vette Pack 1.5, as there are a number of accuracy and handling improvements. These include...

-removed the version number from the redplug in order to eliminate a conflict with RLPAU that people have been complaining about

-corrected all 1968-1972 stock Vettes' tires to 215mm width to match "F" vintage tire specs

-changed swaybars on all C3 L88's to 20000front/37500rear

-new wheel textures on the C3 L88 Convertible racer

-made stock L88 sound louder

-changed suspensionFriction to 400 on all C3 L88's

In conclusion.....:-)......I hope that you enjoy this special collectible plug, and that it will help to hold you over until I can release the new Vette Pack 1.5 update.

Battlewagon
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 Empty Re: Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff)

Post  Tuktuk Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Battlewagon wrote:
-new wheel textures on the C3 L88 Convertible racer

I really love that car – handling, behavior, sound and look.

But hard to remember her name (OK, my problem) as well as finding her name while browsing the car list. ;-)

Tuktuk
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 Empty Vette Pack 1.5 Released!!! November 21st, 2009. :-)

Post  Battlewagon Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:57 pm

The Vette Pack, Version 1.5 released.
November 21st, 2009.

Cars mostly by Battlewagon, at least in terms of the .car files, 1953 Corvette by Battlewagon, original Corvette C3 model from Redline, and original, original '57 Vette model by Renesis (before I vastly redid it to resemble a full-sized one).

In any case, you may download the pack from Filefront:

http://www.filefront.com/14962275/VettePack_1.5.zip

or the Legacy of Lies Developer Uploads server:

http://www.legacyoflies.com/devuploads/battlewagon/VettePack_1.5.zip

If you can't stand the huge size of the standard Vette Pack, I've also released a "Lite" version, that only includes the 6 most basic cars here:

http://www.filefront.com/14962299/VettePackLite_1.5.zip

or here:

http://www.legacyoflies.com/devuploads/battlewagon/VettePackLite_1.5.zip

It's personal choice, really. The Split up version of the Vette Pack Lite is no longer available due to lack of demand. If anyone wants a custom plug, though, feel free to personal message me.

In any case, getting to the pack itself, this project was never originally supposed to be so huge, involved, educational, or time-consuming, as I was hoping, by the end of the summer of 2007, to release a good, full-size version of Renesis's '57 Vette (at his request), and a Corvette L88 and ZL1 I had been working on. I was also working, half-heartedly, on a drag racer and an LT1/ZR1, but from there it snowballed. Released originally on June 15th, 2008, the pack now contains over 37 cars, most of them with a number of textures, and in fact I have so many different cars I haven't included them all, for fear of annoying all of you. This plug is, I think, the largest car plug ever made for Redline up until now...by anyone, and I didn't want to make it impossibly so. As it is, I think it reflects the spirit of real Corvette owners, who like all of them, and if it weren't for money, would probably own every single model ever made. My problem isn't money...as this is Redline...but time. I can't spend my whole life on this game!! :-)

This new version is, in a sense, the most important upgrade to the pack since I started, as it fills the gap between the C1 and C3 generations with an all-year collection of C2 Corvettes.

Originally, I was just hoping to include a 1963 Corvette, either a Z06 or an L84, in Version 1.3 or 1.4, but that never happened because of all the other stuff I had to do. This version of the pack has, in turn, taken so long that I've also managed to come up with a lot of fixes to the existing C1 and C3 Corvettes. For now, I'll just go over the main changes, and you can find out the rest either from the Vette Pack guide, or by trying the pack in-game....

-restored all bias-ply tires to wheels.Stickiness -0.1, due to overwhelming public demand

-added gauge and radio textures to the C1 Vettes

-cleaned up interior model UV maps on C1 Vettes

-new body models on all C1 Vettes

-raised front wheel positions on the C1's to 355mm, and the rears to 365mm

-raised all steering wheel models, interior models, driver models, license plate models, and light sources 255mm on the C1's

-C1 brakes changed to 1300front/300rear, except for on the C1 racer, which stays unchanged, and the R.P.O. 684, which has been changed to 1500front/300rear

-'53 Vette weight distribution corrected to 53%front/47%rear to reflect Blue Flame engine, and moments of inertia corrected accordingly

-rearSwayBar on standard '57 Vette downgraded to 24000 for better stability

-added C2 standard Coupe, C2 Z06, Z06 Wide Wheel, Z06 Racer, Z06 Flared Fender, C2 Hot Rod, C2 Grand Sport, C2 L84, C2 L78, C2 L72, C2 L89, C2 L88, C2 L88 with radials, C2 L88 Racer, and C2 L88 Le Mans Racer.

-corrected wide wheel specs on both C1 and C2 Vettes to 8.2X15 (210mm wide) both front and rear

-reorganized C3 folder, with many file name changes to accomodate the new C2 folder

-cleaned up safety light sources on C3 race cars

-corrected displacement on C3 Top Fuel

-corrected torque on C3 Top Fuel

-corrected all 1968-1972 stock Vettes' tires to 215mm width to match "F" vintage tire specs

-changed C3 L75 and L79 engine settings as follows
-jerkRPM changed to 500rpm
-engineInertia changed to 0.45
-enginebaseFriction changed to 35.0
-engineRPMFriction changed to 0.03
-clutchRPM changed to 1600rpm

-changed swaybars on all C3 L88's (except for the LeMans) to 20000front/37500rear

-new driver textures on the C3 L88 race cars

-new wheel textures on the C3 L88 CanAm

-reintroduced the C3 L88 LeMans as a 1968 model, based on the Henri Greder version
The 1968 L88 LeMans has the following changes from the 1969...
-new Henri Greder paint scheme
-new add-ons
-new light sources to match the add-ons
-a 2.56 differential to match the real car
-maxClutchTorqueTransfer increased to 659, which is almost equal to gross torque
-changed swaybars to 20000front/40000rear

-made stock L88 and ZL1 sounds louder

-changed suspensionFriction to 400 on all C3 L88's

-corrected C3 L89 torque to 460lb/ft.

-corrected interiorModel tag in L89 to make sure correct interior model appears in game

-added orange texture to stock ZL1 in order to portray the newly-discovered "third" ZL1

-corrected ZL1 moments of inertia

-changed swaybars on all ZL1 Vettes but the racer to 20000front/37500rear

-lowered suspensionFriction on all ZL1 Vettes to 400

-changed swaybars on the ZL1 racer to 40000front/57500rear

-added year 1969 to ZL1 crate name

-ZL1 Saturday Night Special rear slicks corrected to 230mm, and front tires corrected to 215mm non-slicks

-changed swaybars on LT1/ZR1 to 20000front/40000rear

-changed suspensionFriction on LT1/ZR1 to 400

-changed maxClutchTorqueTransfer on LT1/ZR1 to 302.64 in order to simulate 69% of gross horsepower, and to achieve accurate acceleration, at least 0-60

-changed swaybars on LS6/ZR2 to 20000front/37500rear

-changed suspensionFriction on LS6/ZR2 to 400

-changed maxClutchTorqueTransfer on LS6/ZR2 to 323.88 in order to simulate 60% of gross horsepower, and to achieve accurate acceleration, at least 0-60

-full upgrade of Vette Pack Guide, with new screenshots and specs to reflect changes

Getting on to the new cars for this version of the pack....

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2883326160101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 Coupe [1963]
0-60 6.8 seconds
0-100 16.2 seconds
0-100-0 22.4 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:15'20 @ 97 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 117 m.p.h.
1963 saw the first complete redesign of the Corvette since its introduction 10 years earlier, and is considered by some automotive historians to be the most classic of all Corvette years. The second generation of Corvettes is designated "C2," and is different from the first-generation C1 in almost everything but powertrain. This last point is a bit surprising, given how much engines and transmissions had been improved since 1953, but Zora Duntov, the Corvette program's chief engineer, was more interested in making major handling improvements to the Corvette, most notably by introducing independent rear suspension, and fully restyling the Corvette to put it more in step with the times. Called the "Stingray," the car did indeed have some resemblence to a ray of sorts, if not exactly a stingray, but Duntov later regretted that aerodynamically it was "like a badly-designed airplane." The handling improvements also didn't impress many non-Americans, and to this day many vintage race drivers don't want to get anywhere near a Stingray. It's not my favorite Corvette either, but the Redline community disagreed, pressuring me to build a simulation of it for Redline, so I started with the classic 1963 C2 Coupe, with the split rear-windshield (a 1963-only feature), the 327 engine (the only regular engine available, albeit in four versions, these being the base, the L75, the L76, and the fuel-injected L84), the 3-speed Saginaw transmission (standard since 1955), and the 3.7 non-POSI differential. Surprisingly, you still had to order a 4-speed transmission and POSI rear end in 1963, in spite of the independent rear suspension.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2883326160101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 Z06 [1963]
0-60 5.1 seconds
0-100 11.1 seconds
0-100-0 17 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:13'60 @ 111 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 148 m.p.h.
After the R.P.O. 684 racing package was discontinued for the 1960 model year, the Corvette was without such a complete trim for several years (although some lesser race packages were offered), in spite of the 684 being a popular car to use for racing (at least in the United States). This changed in 1963, when two racing packages, the Z06 and the Grand Sport, were fielded, the Grand Sport being introduced in 1962, a year before all the other C2's. The Grand Sport program was a failure for a variety of internal political reasons at General Motors, however, so this left only the Z06 available to most people. Only 5 Grand Sports were built, but even the Z06 was a rare car, with only 199 built. It was basically an L84 Coupe, meaning the fuel-injected, 360-horsepower, top-of-the-line Corvette with the L84 engine, Muncie M20 4-speed transmission, and 3.7 POSI differential, stripped of all luxury features and given a heavy duty suspension, heavy-duty cooled (although surprisingly not disc) brakes, a 36.5-gallon fiberglass fuel tank, and lightweight parts to bring the weight down under 3000 pounds. The Z06 was also supposed to include aluminum alloy spoked wheels with knockoffs, but in reality few 1963 Corvettes of any trim had this feature because of production difficulties at the factory. Buyers could voluntarily choose to omit the oversize fuel tank, and this usually meant they intended to use their Z06 on the street, against Chevrolet's advice. Dealers technically couldn't refuse a sale, though, as General Motors was trying to comply with the Automobile Manufacturers Association ban on factory-sponsered racing, while in actuality fielding cars like the Corvette Z06, the Grand Sport, and, the following year, also the Pontiac GTO.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2617246550101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 Z06 Wide Wheel [1963]
0-60 4.9 seconds
0-100 9.7 seconds
0-100-0 16 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:13'58 @ 114 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 150 m.p.h.
Corvettes were popular with hot rodders very early on, of course, and the 1963 Stingray continued in that tradition nicely. It was possible, however, to upgrade your Corvette simply by using parts from Chevrolet's official heavy-duty or "HD" parts catalog, and one of the upgrades preferred by race drivers was to get aluminum alloy (or in earlier years, steel) wide wheels, which could then be fitted with larger tires. The Redline community demanded that I include at least one wide wheel C2 Corvette, as most Redliners couldn't stand the stock 6.7" tires, so I relented very readily since I was already working on a Z06 race car that had them.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2748875710101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 Z06 Wide Wheel [racing, 1963]
0-60 4.3 seconds
0-100 9.6 seconds
0-100-0 15.5 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:13'09 @ 114 m.p.h.
For safety reasons, although the Z06 was marketed as a race-ready car, some preparation was inevitably necessary, mostly the installation of a roll cage, and preferably oversize wheels of some sort. In the case of this car, I have given it wide wheels, a racing interior with roll cage, a dropped suspension, and a slightly higher level of net torque, in response to popular demand.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2898997680101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 Z06 Flared Fender [racing, 1963]
0-60 4.3 seconds
0-100 9.5 seconds
0-100-0 14.4 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:13'80 @ 115 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 155 m.p.h.
In addition to wide wheels, some Z06 Corvettes, like the famous "Gulf One" race car, also received flared fenders to accomodate even larger wheels and tires. I've attempted to do a rough copy of Gulf One here, although I should note that it has disc brakes, so it isn't entirely accurate. Another inaccuracy is that the flared fenders are smoother than on the original Gulf One, but I intend to add more textures in the future so that this doesn't look so bad. I made also remodel the fenders to recreate the (more difficult to model) Gulf One fenders anyway. I haven't really decided, as of all the Vette Pack Corvettes this one is currently the least refined. You will find, however, that it's the best handling of all the C2 Z06's, so that's why I've included it anyway.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2665609530101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 Hot Rod [1963]
0-60 3.7 seconds
0-100 7.8 seconds
0-100-0 12.7 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:11'56 @ 125 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 163 m.p.h.
Of course, most hot rodders didn't try to build all-Chevrolet FIA-homologated Z06's. Instead, they took relatively standard Corvettes, probably bought used, souped up or replaced the engines and drivetrains, and fitted them with wheels and tires far larger than what Chevy made. They would also opt to set the cars up more for a drag strip than a track, and it has been my intention for some time to build a C2 drag racer, but in this first release I'm going to skip it. Instead, I'm giving you this hot rod that's set up more for track and er....street use. Why? The Redline drag racing scene is, to say the least, very limited, but people race on tracks and street courses every night, so it's a no-brainer that I should be catering to that crowd. Therefore....this car comes with (mild) custom paint, 235mm BF Goodrich T/A radial tires on custom rims (based on a design I found online, but with knockoffs) a Muncie M22 4-speed manual transmission, a stock 3.7 POSI differential, and a 327 V-8 with dual Carter 4-bbl carbs running on 100 octane avgas, for 425 net horsepower. The body design is, aside from the paint, stock, as is the interior, and overall this is a crude job that I intend to refine in future releases. In the meantime, though, it's fast, driveable, and authentic, as there would be no obstacle to building a car like this in real life. The engine is, in fact, copied exactly from a real engine that one of my friends built.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2666743670101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 Grand Sport Coupe [1963]
0-60 3.1 seconds
0-100 5.9 seconds
0-100-0 10.4 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:10'78 @ 134 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 164 m.p.h.
The Grand Sport predated the other C2 Corvettes by roughly a year, with a prototype convertible being both built and raced in 1962, followed by one more convertible plus three coupes in 1963. The was as much a very serious research project as a production vehicle, and was initially secret. Eventually, 125 cars were to be built as a step up from the Z06, but this never happened after the AMA racing ban, and the subsequent cancellation of the program by GM's board of directors. In the meantime, though, the car was a promising project that many people believed (and still believe) should have been allowed to go ahead. The car was, like the Z06, very stripped-down, and meant to be barely even street legal. In actuality, the high planned production figure was for homologation purposes. No attempt was made to make the car practical off the track. The Grand Sport had disc brakes, however, and used much lighter weight materials, most notably aluminum and magnesium, resulting in a curb weight of less than a ton. The existing fiberglass body was also non-standard, as it was thinner gauge, and constructed differently, with flared fenders and additional ventilation not only for the engine, but also for the differential, which required its own cooling system. The Grand Sport also had a tube frame, as opposed to the welded, stamped steel perimeter used on the standard C2 (and for that matter, most other American cars of the period). An interesting article about the construction methods used can be found here. The engine was initially the L84 327 from the Z06, at least in the prototype, but this was quickly replaced by the 377 crate engine that was then available from Chevrolet. This doesn't sound like much of a step up, but this was a full-race tuned engine with 2x 2bbl Weber side draft carbs. It was officially rated for 485 horsepower, but in the gross horsepower figures available then it put out closer to 550, and some modern, tuned examples have put out over 600 horsepower net. I've therefore been conservative with this simulation and gone for 485 net, which still makes the Redline car too fast, probably. In In any event, although GM cancelled the Grand Sport program, the cars remained in use for racing, and experienced some success. Eventually they ended up in the possession of the Penske racing team, who also bought the first ever Corvette L88 sold to the general public. Predictably, they then ordered L88 crate engines for their Grand Sports, although since that time at least one of them has been downgraded back to a 377...that dynos at 619 horsepower!!! For Redline, as I said, I've opted for the 377. Today, the real Grand Sports all still survive in private hands, and are among the most desirable of all collectible Corvettes. I figured that if I was going to do some C2 Corvettes for Redline, I had to do a Grand Sport, so here it is.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2058269990101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L84 Coupe [1964]
0-60 6 seconds
0-100 11.6 seconds
0-100-0 18.9 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:14'80 @ 109 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 148 m.p.h.
After all the changes and racing adventures of 1963, 1964 was a very mundane year for the Corvette, with even the split-window coupe being eliminated in favor of an otherwise-identical coupe with a single-piece rear windshield, no Cookie sheet grilles on the hood, and a new gas cap design. The rocker panels were also changed slightly. The Z06 option was no longer available, although the R.P.O. F40 heavy-duty suspension was, as were the cooled drum brakes, and it was no longer a problem to get spoked alloy wheels. One new option for 1964 was electronic ignition, and the L84 fuel-injected 327 was now up to 375 horsepower, 15 more than in 1962 and 1963. I've attempted to recreate a top-of-the-line L84 Corvette from 1964 here, with all of the options short of the F40 handling package, namely the AM/FM radio (or at least some kind of radio), a 3.7 POSI differential, a Muncie M20 4-speed transmission, spoked alloy wheels, and back-up lights.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2952091050101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L78 Coupe [1965]
0-60 5.5 seconds
0-100 10.6 seconds
0-100-0 15.8 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:13'66 @ 114 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 149 m.p.h.
In 1965, the Corvette got a mild update. A number of obvious things were changed, of course. For example, the interior was redesigned, the gas cap was redesigned again, the side louvers between the front wheel wells and the doors were redesigned, and the color choices were revised, with yellow being one of the new colors offered. There were a number of significant technical changes, however, that made 1965 Corvettes considerably more formidable opponents than 1964's. First of all, the wheels and tires, this meaning the standard ones and not any special option, were now 7.75 X 15", meaning that grip was far better. Disc brakes also became standard in 1965, on all four wheels! That didn't mean they were suddenly an option, but that in contrast to 1964, when they weren't even an option, they now became standard, with drum brakes optional. Naturally, they were available with power assist. To provide a slightly higher standard top speed, the standard differential became the 3.36, although the 3.7 remained an option. There were a number of new options, however, in addition to the improvements to the basic car. First of all, you could get factory side pipes for the first time. Secondly, you could order not only the Muncie M20 4-speed manual transmission or the Powerglide 2-speed automatic, but also the Muncie M22 heavy duty 4-speed manual, a.k.a. the "Rockcrusher." Engine options were wider than they had ever been, too. In addition to the 250-horsepower, Carter 4-bbl 327cid V-8, which had been standard since 1962, you could still order the L75 4-bbl, with 300 horsepower, the L76 4-bbl with 365 horsepower, or the L84 Fuel-injected 327 with 375 horsepower, you could also order the L79 which had 350 horsepower and hydraulic lifters like on the L75 (the L76 had mechanical lifters). The big engine option for 1965, though, was the L78 396cid 4bbl V-8, the first "big block" engine offered as an R.P.O. on the Corvette. It was so big that a special bulge had to be designed into the L78's hood, which is the easiest spotting feature for an L78 as opposed to any other 1965 Vette. Big block engines had been available on larger Chevys for years, and many salvaged and crate big blocks had found their way into Corvette hot rods already, but now it was possible to order a 396 directly from the factory, and 2,157 people did, which is considerably when you consider it was more than 10% of Corvette production for the year. It also was significant because it killed sales for the L84, as it cost far more than the L78, yet wasn't as powerful. Consequently, 1965 would be the last year that Corvettes were offered with both disc brakes and fuel injection until 1982, and the last year until 1984 when it was possible to buy a Corvette with disc brakes, fuel injection, and a manual transmission. In the meantime, though, nobody was thinking about these technical details, with all of the new power and control that a well-equipped L78 offered, especially if it also had the special F40 handling package. For Redline, I've built you an L78 with an M22 transmission, 3.7 POSI differential, spoked alloy wheels, back-up lights, side pipes, and of course the (non-operable) AM/FM radio. That's okay, you can use iTunes instead. :-)

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2019372920101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L72 Coupe [1966]
0-60 4.7 seconds
0-100 9.8 seconds
0-100-0 15.1 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:12'81 @ 117 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 134 m.p.h.
1966 Corvettes, with the exception of minor styling changes like a slightly redesigned interior, new rocker panels, and a new gas cap, were more or less the same as the 1965 Corvettes. There were a number of technical changes, though, which were more significant. First of all, and strangely, back-up lights were standard (before they were on most other cars), and drum brakes, less surprisingly, were no longer available. Hazard lights were now an option, however, as were shoulder belts (another high-tech feature for the time), and special heavy-duty J56 disc brakes. None of it mattered, though, as Ralph Nader probably still never forgave Chevrolet for the Corvair. In the area of performance, engine options were slashed back to a more modest four. The standard engine was now the L75, with 300 horsepower with the L79 still available with 350 horsepower. The 396 was gone, though, after only one year. In a way, it had been a strange choice of engine for the Corvette, as it wasn't the big block favored by race drivers and hot rodders. Ever since 1963, when the original 427cid Z11 "Rat" V-8 had been developed by stroking a 409, the Rat had been the favorite, starting at 425 horsepower with the Z11, and then being upgraded to 435 horsepower with the L71 in 1964, and to 560 horsepower with the L88 of 1965 (although the official rating was 430, and initially the L88 never left Chevy's possession). It was, however, a conservative but powerful street engine that proved the feasibility of putting a big block engine into the C2, a car that Duntov had originally said was best powered by the lighter 327 "Mouse." In 1966, it was still possible to buy an L71 crate engine, and the L88 finally became available in 1966 too. In fact, a small elite handful of people even managed to order C.O.P.O. L88's directly from Chevrolet, with the first going to Penske Racing, although all but Penske's were stealthfully classified as "HD 427" Corvettes, rather than L88's. Normal people, however, now had the choice, for the first time, of ordering an R.P.O. L36 or L72 427 on a regular, production Corvette. The L36 was the basic one, with "only" 390 horsepower, which was actually less than the L78 396, but the L72 had a larger Holley 780CFM 4bbl, a performance cam, four-bolt main bearings (surprisingly not standard on the Rat) and numerous other performance enhancements, including aluminum pistons. At first I fretted that my L72, recreated for Redline, was too fast, until I read that actually it had more than 425 horsepower, and had been underrated by Chevy to avoid high insurance costs and political problems (i.e. Ralph Nader)! For transmissions, the Saginaw was still standard (in contrast to the rest of the car, which was quite advanced already), the ancient Powerglide automatic was still optional, the M20 4-speed was still around, as was the M22 Rockcrusher, but in 1966 you could also buy an M21 close-ratio 4-speed, which was a cheaper alternative to the M22. For this Redline version of the L72, I've included the side pipes, alloy spoked wheels, L72 engine, the M22 transmission, and the 4.11 POSI differential for monstrous acceleration with decent cornering...oh yeah...it still has a radio...but I should stop talking about that before I get you annoyed.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2856918950101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L89 Coupe [1967]
0-60 4.5 seconds
0-100 8.8 seconds
0-100-0 13.5 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:12'56 @ 121 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 140 m.p.h.
To start off, 1967 saw the usual little yearly tweaks to Corvette styling like a redesigned interior, redesigned rocker panels, redesigned gas cap, redesigned side louvers, and (for the first time since 1963) redesigned wheels. There were also some new options like headrests, a speed warning indicator, and on the most powerful big blocks, a racing stripe over the newly redesigned scooped big block hood. Not all Corvettes were big block, of course, even in 1967, as 57.69% of Corvettes still were sold with the 327, meaning most of them. Several changes were made, however, in the engine options. The L75 was still standard, and the L79 was still the top 327 option. In 427 engines, you could still buy the L36, although it was now marketed towards buyers with the Powerglide automatic transmission and air conditioning, as the 327 struggled to achieve normal performance with these options dragging off horsepower. You didn't necessarily have to be a race driver or street racer to want a 427 in that case. New for 1967, however, was the L68, a downgraded L71 with 400 horsepower that was also marketed to Powerglide buyers. The L72, however, was gone. Why? Because in 1967, Chevrolet finally agreed to sell the L71 as a regular, R.P.O.! The L71 already had three racing seasons behind it as a crate engine, so this was quite a development. 3,738 were sold, too, so it wasn't like it was a special race-only option, either. Zora Duntov actively promoted it as a more practical (and he was probably thinking safer) alternative to the L88, which even more amazingly was offered as an R.P.O also, although only 20 were sold. Duntov's argument was that the L71 worked much better with a street exhaust system and tires, and that these features would strangle an L88. At the very least, the L88 required racing fuel, and was prone to overheating in street driving. Nevertheless, even the L88 wasn't the rarest of 1967 Corvettes. This title had to go to the L89, the ultimate street Corvette, with only 16 built! The L89 wasn't even counted initially as a seperate engine option from the L71, as its specifications were nearly identical, but it did have the aluminum heads off of the L88, shifting the Corvette's weight distribution back to 49front/51rear, which was close to Duntov's original intended distribution for the 1963 L84. In subsequent years, it had shifted forward, until the L78, L72, L36, L68, and L71 had all pushed the weight to 51front/49rear. The L89 was also said to develop 475 horsepower gross, even if it was only advertised at 435, and some people even thought that the L71 could put out 450. Therefore, I've chosen to make the street 1967 Big Block Corvette for Redline an L89, with 435 net horsepower!! It's very fast indeed, especially since I've also given it an M22 transmission and a 4.11 POSI differential!!! Duntov's theory about it being faster than an L88 doesn't hold true in Redline, though.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2164867850101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L88 Coupe [1967]
0-60 4.5 seconds
0-100 7.9 seconds
0-100-0 13.4 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:12'38 @ 127 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 186 m.p.h.
As I already said earlier, in 1967 it was possible for the first time to buy an R.P.O. L88 Corvette, and 20 people did. It was the fastest Corvette for 1967, but a very wide margin, and several saw success in racing, most notably for the Sunray DX racing team. As a fast street car, though, it wasn't just successful. No other American car came even remotely close to matching the L88's speed, or for that matter handling, as no other car company produced a sports car comparable to the Corvette, and even Dodge didn't produce a stock street engine as powerful as the L88, not even the 426 HEMI (although if prepped for racing the HEMI was probably better). Try racing this bone-stock L88, though, and you can see what Zora Duntov meant. It's got way too much power to be a practical or safe street car, and to be a competent race car on anything but a drag strip it needs better tires, at the very least. Still...in Redline nobody gets killed, and I figured many people would want to see this car in the Vette Pack, as would I.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2094982430101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L88 Coupe [radials, 1967]
0-60 3.9 seconds
0-100 7.4 seconds
0-100-0 12.5 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:11'69 @ 133 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 187 m.p.h.
In the late 1960's, many American cars had far better engines than tires, and the L88 may have had the worst discrepancy of all. Bias-ply tires had been on the way out in Europe for 20 years before Sears began selling the first American radials, which is especially odd when you consider their tires were just store brand. Goodyear, Firestone, and the other American tire manufacturers were behind the curve, and it wasn't until 1967 that B.F. Goodrich entered the aftermarket radial tire market. Nevertheless, in that year some dealers began selling Oldsmobiles, Lincolns, and Ford Thunderbirds with radials, and the following year radials became optional on Ford Mustangs and Corvettes, as well as standard on the Lincoln Continental. In the meantime, though, they offered the opportunity to give a performance car an extra edge as a fairly simple aftermarket mod, at least as cars like the Mustang and Corvette had their suspensions upgraded to take them. I figured I would be clever and do a radial-tired L88 so that you wouldn't all be spinning your wheels all over the place when you're not in the mood. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I figured a lot of you would want it.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2272135890101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L88 Coupe [racing, 1967]
0-60 3.4 seconds
0-100 6 seconds
0-100-0 10.5 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:10'78 @ 143 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 200 m.p.h.
Since the L88 was a factory race car, and even in 1967 was involved in racing, I figured I had to produce a full-race version, even if the only photos I could find were of Sunray DX L88's, and one that I saw once and haven't been able to relocate. I've attempted to crudely recreate Sunray DX numbers 8 and 9 here, as well as roughly copy the other car from memory, numbering it 88 for "L88." As you can see from the above performance numbers, this car is no dog, and in fact it's probably faster than a real one.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2048020410101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L88 Coupe [LeMans, 1967]
0-60 4 seconds
0-100 7.2 seconds
0-100-0 12.4 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:11'56 @ 136 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 200 m.p.h.
When Sunray DX decided to enter their team in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, they immediately ran into difficulties with Chevrolet, and probably the FIA as well (I haven't been able to find out one way or the other) because their cars were somewhat modified, and Chevrolet wanted their cars accurately represented, the rationale being that they were quite impressive while still completely stock, and therefore should be recognized as serious peformance cars. Therefore, I've also built this Le Mans version of the car, assuming a stock engine with factory racing headers, and Chevy HD wide wheels with treaded street tires on them.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2580770680101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C3 L88 [1968, LeMans]
0-60 5.6 seconds
0-100 8.5 seconds
0-100-0 12.8 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:12'39 @ 139 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 226 m.p.h.
For safety reasons, virtually nobody legally raced their L88 bone stock. A roll cage wasn't even available as a C.O.P.O. (as far as I know), and few were sold with oversize tires (I'm not aware of any specifically), and both of these features were absolute necessities for safely racing such a powerful car. On the CanAm version of this car that I made, which was originally called "racing" before Version 1.3 of the Vette Pack, I included all of these things on a semi-authentic, semi-fictional racing L88, built to roughly CanAm specs. What was allowed in CanAm, however, like spoilers, slicks, unmuffled engines, and so on, was not allowed by the FIA in GT events of the time. This is because the FIA regulations state, at least in theory, that even GT1 cars must be "must be able to be used perfectly legally on the open road" (Article 1.1 "Definitions," Article 258 Technical Regulations for Grand Touring Cars Group GT1). Therefore, the cars have to have mufflers and lights, and in the films I've seen of LeMans and Sebring in 1969, even the hottest cars like the Porsche 917 have treaded tires. In addition, there was controversy over the use of spoilers in 1969 (even in the case of the flexible flaps on the rear of the 917), as they had only just been accepted in F1, and were not in common use on most GT cars, as the FIA frowned on them. Therefore...for those of you who wanted a hardcore FIA-legal (I think) L88, for version 1.3 of the Vette Pack I took a 1969 CanAm racer and downgraded it. For version 1.5 of the Vette Pack, however, I've done a rough re-creation of the actual L88 that Henri Greder raced at Le Mans from 1968-1973. Supposedly, this car holds the record for the most seasons at Le Mans, with six in all, although the car had been modified with a wider rear by 1973 to accommodate wider tires, and at some point the L88 engine was replaced by a 454 with L88 parts (I'm not aware of whether the car ever raced at Le Mans in this later engine). In any case, you'll find that this new (for Redline) version of the L88 is considerably slower off the line than the original L88 Le Mans for Redline, but much better for sustained high-speed running, which should be realistic. It's also much faster in top speed, being even faster than the real one, although I would face some difficulties getting it to match since I've included the authentic 2.56 differential, which was specially installed by Zora Duntov in the real Greder L88 in anticipation of the Mulsaunne Straight at Le Mans. If anyone gets around to building a version of the Le Mans track for Redline, maybe it could be fun. In addition to the taller differential on this car, I've also given it authentic fog lights on the front (the car had, at different times, four, two, or no fog lights, so I took the middle ground), the distinctive safety lights on the roof, dual side mirrors, and the front spoiler that it had before most sports cars in FIA competition had them. One compromise that I've made on this car is that, because the acceleration was so slow when I first put the new differential in, I raised the net torque almost to the gross rating to compensate. If you figure that most GT cars have always been tuned a bit to get the most out of them, I'm hoping that this isn't too unrealistic a mod.

Battlewagon
Addict
Addict

Back to top Go down

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 Empty Re: Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff)

Post  alphonse Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:08 pm

this is by far the longest post i ve ever seen.

alf Embarassed
alphonse
alphonse

Number of posts : 449
Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...
Humor : from black to white (no racism in here)
Favorite Car : Porsche 968, Mini, some C2's, of course the Alfa TCC Wink
Favorite Track : Monaco GP, Imola, Spa
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuktuk Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:05 pm

This post is epic! Cool

So I will download the new pack, thanks for your work!

PS: 106 MB! Shocked This pack is epic!

Tuktuk
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:49 am

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 Jawdroprogerrabbit
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 657
Interests : construction, racing, women, quake
Humor : is purely optional
Favorite Car : sauber c9, radical sr4 & sr8
Favorite Track : lime rock, pembrey, monza
Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.legacyoflies.com/?p=home

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:52 am

ahahaha

emmh, can someone give me a synthesis?
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Number of posts : 742
Favorite Car : BMW M Coupe
Favorite Track : Nordschleife

http://www.games4mac.it

Back to top Go down

Post  slowDan Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:08 pm

A synopsis?

Let me try:

Here are some new 'vettes. Enjoy!

Laughing
slowDan
slowDan
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 92
Interests : Design/Racing!
Favorite Car : Porsche 968 RS Turbo
Favorite Track : Spa Francorchamps

http://slowdan.co.nr

Back to top Go down

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 Empty WIP's and questions....

Post  Battlewagon Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:18 pm

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2934236880101000715S425x425Q85
Well...here's your first glimpse of what's coming in the next Vette Pack. I haven't decided how many new cars to include yet, but this was an obvious one, not so much the engine option as the body option. Although the 1963 Split-Window Coupe is much better remembered, the majority of C2 Corvettes were actually convertibles, and this one already runs great, so right now I'm working on the rest of the pack, while this sits on my hard drive for the moment.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2626436660101000715S425x425Q85
This is another one of the new Vettes in the pipeline. It runs great, but the new auxiliary hardtop (making it a coupe, of sorts) seems too low to be prototypical. It occurs to me that it would make a great roof for a future hot rod, but even though it matches the photos that I have it just doesn't look right to me. Is this an optical illusion caused by Redline? I don't know.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2497691990101000715S425x425Q85
This is the most ambitious car that I'm attempting for the Vette Pack right now, as it involves a lot of new, and tricky modelling. Generally, 1950's cars are a mess in terms of their lines, which is part of their appeal, but modelling them can be quite hard to get right. I can't tell if these parts are lined up in the correct proportion, and I particularly don't like the way the hood looks. Does anybody know how close I am?

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2588233860101000715S425x425Q85
Here's a screenshot in edit mode if it's any help.

Battlewagon
Addict
Addict

Back to top Go down

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 Empty It's stitched...

Post  Battlewagon Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:54 am

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2955956560101000715S425x425Q85
I liked this slight edit of the '58 Vette body model far better, so I stitched it together and decided to stick with it for now. I'll try to get to UV mapping it this weekend.

Battlewagon
Addict
Addict

Back to top Go down

Post  C14ru5 Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:55 am

Wow, that's a lot of unnecessary faces in the headlights! Whatever happened to "Make a circle using one or two dozen vertices, connect them to a vertex in the center, then move the center slightly forward"? Setting the shading to smooth should take care of the rest, and it's not like we're watching the front while driving anyway...
C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 280
Interests : Student / Synth geek / Vinyl collector
Humor : Don't panic, and don't forget your towel.
Favorite Car : Radical SR4 Clubsport
Favorite Track : Black Forest

Back to top Go down

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 Empty The headlight models...

Post  Battlewagon Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:06 am

C14ru5 wrote:Wow, that's a lot of unnecessary faces in the headlights! Whatever happened to "Make a circle using one or two dozen vertices, connect them to a vertex in the center, then move the center slightly forward"? Setting the shading to smooth should take care of the rest, and it's not like we're watching the front while driving anyway...

It depends on priorities, I guess. The headlights consist of eight models, plus the faces on the body model behind them. I wouldn't mind a way of cutting down the polys on the body model (the problem is that there are quite a few polys surrounding the lights in order to give the body the correct shape), but on the headlights themselves this large number of polys is the same as on the '57's headlights. They're actually four downsized versions of the two model pairs on the '57, with the bezels slightly modded to give them the sharper rims seen on the real thing. The directional/parking lights are also taken from the '57 and resized, although now they're buried in bezels that I made new.

Battlewagon
Addict
Addict

Back to top Go down

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 Empty Vette Convertibles 1.6 Released, April 24th, 2010.

Post  Battlewagon Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:49 pm

Well, you know what this means....the new Vette Pack is close to ready! :-) In the meantime, I'm releasing an update of the Vette Convertibles....

Vette Convertibles Plug-in for Redline, Version 1.6 released.
April 24th, 2010

You may download it from Filefront:

http://www.filefront.com/16236651/VetteConvertibles_1.6.zip

or the Legacy of Lies Developer Uploads Server:

http://www.legacyoflies.com/devuploads/battlewagon/VetteConvertibles_1.6.zip

This plug-in was originally meant to be a "collectible" plug-in of sorts to hold you all over until I released my upcoming Vette Pack. The beta testing process for this plug also yielded vital data towards the Vette Pack's development, so I need to thank everyone who participated in the testing process. In particular, I should thank Thomm, Tomte, NoNameBrand, Renesis, DJPimley, Kishkumen, and the many other people in the Redline community who gave me expert advice, as well as, sometimes, actual parts to work with. For example, Thomm gave me an Exige sound which was first used as the sound for the L88, but which now has been replaced with some new sound files which I think are more accurate. Kishkumen, on the other hand, gave me the idea for photorealistic gauges in Version 1.2, and I could city many more examples. An additional thank you must be given to Jonas Echterhoff, Marcus Conge, David Drew, and the Redline development team, not only for producing a great game, but also for developing the original C3 Corvette model that forms the original car that this Redplug is based on. In fact, come to think of it, I've changed so many other things that it's the only original thing left in the car.

In any case, getting to the story of this latest version...this update is intended to bring the Vette Convertibles pack in line with the standards of the new Vette Pack 1.6 (which is immense, I should add), as there are a number of accuracy and handling improvements. These include...

-fixed rear turn signals and brakelights to make them more visible

-corrected clutchRPM to 1000 on the L88

-new bronze textures for stock the Corvettes in this pack (and several more in the main Vette Pack, coming soon)

-cleaned up some minor .car stuff, although I don't remember what, off hand

In conclusion.....:-)......I hope that you enjoy this special collectible plug, and that it will help to hold you over until I can get a proper update of the Vette Pack done. Until then......here are the performance specs again:

Corvette L75 Convertible [1969]
0-60 6.7 seconds
0-100 13.3
0-100-0 18 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:14'94 @ 109 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 130 m.p.h.
The Corvette L75, produced 1962-1969, in both Coupe and Convertible form as the base model for the C1 (1962), C2 (1963-1967), and C3 (1968-1969) platforms. In every one of these years but 1969, the year of this car, the engine was the L75 327 cu.in. ohv V-8, with a Holley 4-barrel carb. For some reason, the L75 designation was reused when the standard Corvette engine was upgraded to the 350 cu.in. ohv V-8 in 1969. Normally, these L-designations were specifically for the engine, but perhaps because the L75 was the standard, cheapest engine you could get for the 1962-1968 Corvette, L75 referred as much to a base engine as a particular base engine for 1969. This car, however, is not completely base as I've modelled it. It has an optional Muncie M-20 wide ratio 4-speed manual transmission, a 3.7 POSI differential, and if you look carefully, you'll notice it has an AM/FM stereo radio, which was still an option in 1969, same as the 4-speed (a 3-speed manual, amazingly, was still standard, with a Turbo Hydra-Matic 400 3-speed automatic being an option, along with a range of 4-speed manuals). It also has whitewall tires, which were optional even if they were only an aesthetic touch, and thoroughly disposable. As for when to use this car, if you want to blow the doors off of an L88 or a Miura, you probably won't be able to, unless your opponent doesn't have a clue what they're doing. Nevertheless, this is a Corvette, and not a Camaro, Chevelle, or Nova, so you can hold your own against most of the Mustangs and Chargers currently in Redline. I mainly included this car in the pack so that you could contrast it with the L88, which was the most powerful Convertible Corvette available in 1969.

Corvette L88 Convertible [1969]
0-60 3.7 seconds
0-100 6.5 seconds
0-100-0 11.2 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:11'26 @ 140 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 172 m.p.h.
Zora Arkus-Duntov, the legendary chief engineer for the Corvette program, specifically discouraged the sale of L88 racing Corvettes to non-race drivers. The reasons didn't have only to do with discouraging street racing, but also with the fact that the L88 was intended to be race prepped and run on gasoline over 95 octane. Driving an L88 around town, even with correct octane, would usually result in it overheating, or at least running so hot that it would heat up the (non-air conditioned) passenger compartment uncomfortably. Not only that, but if you filled it with less than 95 octane, you could damage its L88 ohv V-8 engine, which was the most powerful engine ever fitted to a Corvette Convertible. It was advertised at 430 horsepower to lower insurance rates for the few idiots who drove an L88 on the street, but in reality it put out 560 horsepower with standard headers and tailpipes, and 575 with racing headers and sidepipes, which this version has. Needless to say, this engine was way beyond what the stock Firestone F70-15 Wide Oval tires could deal with, so Duntov also liked to mention that a mellower L89 or L71 Corvette would probably be just as fast, if not faster, in street trim. In addition, most of the racing features available in the L88 were also available in the L71 and L89, like the Muncie M-22 "Rockcrusher" heavy-duty close-ratio 4-speed manual transmission, which I've included in both of the L88 Corvettes in this plug. The real-life L88, in spite of all this, was still street legal, and many never saw a race track. Apparently, there were a lot of crazy people with too much money back in the days of stable American jobs. This simulated version of the L88, I'm convinced, captures the overwhelming, nearly uncontrollable raw power of these amazing cars, and luckily, if you torque steer off the road at 160 m.p.h. you won't die. :-) You also don't need a stable job to own one, as it's a free download. Just don't let it keep you from er....getting a job if you don't have one already. :-)

Corvette L88 Convertible [1969, racing]
0-60 4.1 seconds
0-100 6.5 seconds
0-100-0 10.4 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:11'44 @ 144 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 205 m.p.h.
Of course, Zora Duntov meant for Corvette L88s to dominate race tracks, and if you pulled the mufflers off these cars they would put out well over 600 horsepower. This was without any further modifications, which is made more impressive when you consider that they were iron-block, normally aspirated, 4-barrel carbuerated (750cfm) cast-iron engines with only two valves per cylinder. The only special features were their aluminum heads, (which made them as light as a 350 small-block, while they were 427 cu.in. big-block engines), and their legendary high-lift camshafts. Most experts believe that the cam was their most important advantage over the L89 (the other iron block, aluminum head 427). The cam was so heavy-duty that it changed the sound of the engine, and I found several sound recordings of L88 Corvettes, so this should be semi-accurately replicated in Redline. In any case, none of these engines were ever supposed to be used with the Corvette's standard Wide Oval tires. It was taken as so much of a given that oversized tires would be needed that Chevrolet even offered flared fenders as a special option (I'm not aware of whether this meant a Central Office Production Order, C.O.P.O., or buying the flares from Chevy and home-installing them). This race car, based on the 1969 Owens Corning Corvettes (but featuring two additional textures, one for the Duraflame team, and another fictional one from a plastic model kit of a 1971 Corvette Convertible), has oversized tires, of course, as well as standard additional safety features like a roll bar and (period) racing seats. Otherwise, the only other thing that I've changed from a high-option stock L88 is the sound file to simulate the open exhausts, and a full-race 3.08 POSI differential (I used a 3.7 POSI in the stock version), since the tires can handle it, and you'll probably want it for dueling with Saubers and such. This gives the L88 race car (in Redline) a top speed of 205 m.p.h. (see above), which should be enough to beat any other car in Redline, as it's rare to exceed 190 m.p.h. on the various Redline tracks. This is fairly accurate, as real L88 Corvettes, and their even-more-powerful aluminum-block siblings the ZL1 Corvettes (which were only available as coupes), could easily exceed 200 m.p.h. given straight exhausts, racing fuel, a fast differential, and of course a long-enough straightaway. In real-life racing, of course, speeds over 190 were also rare, even if they were possible.

Battlewagon
Addict
Addict

Back to top Go down

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 Empty Vette Pack 1.6 Released!! May 1st, 2010.

Post  Battlewagon Sat May 01, 2010 10:30 am

The Vette Pack, Version 1.6 released.
May 1st, 2010.

Cars mostly by Battlewagon, at least in terms of the .car files, 1953 Corvette by Battlewagon, original Corvette C3 model from Redline, and original, original '57 Vette model by Renesis (before I vastly redid it to resemble a full-sized one). Textures on the '63 Hot Rod partly by Aleksi, and partly by Battlewagon.

In any case, you may download the pack from Filefront:

http://www.filefront.com/16326873/VettePack_1.6.zip

or the Legacy of Lies Developer Uploads server:

http://www.legacyoflies.com/devuploads/battlewagon/VettePack_1.6.zip

If you can't stand the huge size of the standard Vette Pack, I've also released a "Lite" version, that only includes the 6 most basic cars here:

http://www.filefront.com/16326751/VettePackLite_1.6.zip

or here:

http://www.legacyoflies.com/devuploads/battlewagon/VettePackLite_1.6.zip

It's personal choice, really.

In any case, getting to the pack itself, this project was never originally supposed to be so huge, involved, educational, or time-consuming, as I was hoping, by the end of the summer of 2007, to release a good, full-size version of Renesis's '57 Vette (at his request), and a Corvette L88 and ZL1 I had been working on. I was also working, half-heartedly, on a drag racer and an LT1/ZR1, but from there it snowballed. Released originally on June 15th, 2008, the pack now contains over 50 cars, most of them with a number of textures, and in fact I have so many different cars I haven't included them all, for fear of annoying all of you. This plug is, I think, the largest car plug ever made for Redline up until now...by anyone, and I didn't want to make it impossibly so. As it is, I think it reflects the spirit of real Corvette owners, who like all of them, and if it weren't for money, would probably own every single model ever made. My problem isn't money...as this is Redline...but time. I can't spend my whole life on this game!! :-)

I've added a number of Vettes in generations C1-C3 in this version, and the main overall change is probably that now every year is included 1953-1972 (possibly with more in the future post-1972, as I've received some requests). For now, I'll just go over the main changes, and you can find out the rest either from the Vette Pack guide, or by trying the pack in-game....

-fixed rear turn signals and brakelights on all of the cars to make them more visible

-upgraded C1 interior textures

-new Blue Flame sound

-corrected clutchRPM to 1000, changed engine inertia to 0.75, and made torque net on '53 C1

-corrected hood emblem on '53-'55 Vettes

-rounded out '53-57 models

-corrected clutchRPM to 1000 on all C1 283 and 265 Vettes, with readjustment of clutch to keep acceleration accurate

-new '53 and '57 body models with better trunk bulge

-fixed right front wheel suspension on the base '57 Vette

-corrected hood emblem on '57 Vettes

-new interior model on '57 R.P.O. 684

-changed differential on '57 R.P.O. 684 to 4.11

-fixed exhaust position on '57 racer

-fixed weights and moments of inertia on '57 Vettes (and the moments of inertia on the '55), along with relevant suspension settings

-cleaned up file names in C2 folder

-corrected the differential in the '67 L89 to 4.11

-upgraded C2 hot rod engine and added exhaust fire

-upgraded C2 hot rod textures with the help of Aleksi

-new Z06 Flared Fender model

-new bronze textures for '68-'72 Vettes

-changed "CanAm" 1969 L88 back to "racing"

-new wheel textures on the White ZL1 and the '68 L88 LeMans

-added authentic orange texture to stock ZL1

-added exhaustFire to ZL1 Saturday Night Special

-new ZL1 hump model with new UV map

-corrected clutchRPM to 1000 on all L88's, L89's, and ZL1's

-black textures removed from 1970-72

-bronze textures removed from 1971-1972

-added '54 Vette

-added 1957 C1 R.P.O. 469 coupe

-added years 1956, and 1958-1962, with '60 and '61 racers

-added 1963 L76 (convertible)

-added 1964 L75

-added 1965 L84

-added 1966 L30

-added 1966 L88 Penske race car

-added 1967 L71

-added 1969 racing ZL1 Convertible (with the top up)

-added 1972 LT1/ZR1 Coupe

-updated Vette Pack guide

Getting on to only some of the new cars in this version of the pack (see the Vette Pack Guide for more)....

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2749791700101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C1 [1954]
0-60 12 seconds
0-100 30.8 seconds
0-100-0 37.4 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:19'81 @ 82 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 107 m.p.h.
In 1954, the second year of Corvette production, four different colors were offered, "Pennant Blue," "Sportsman Red," and black. There were also a number of minor modifications, including a slightly upgraded engine with 155 horsepower, a new radio design, a new hood latch design, and other small changes. The engine modifications included a new camshaft and air cleaner (which the earlier '54 Vettes didn't actually have), a new starter, and relocated fuel lines. New options included a windshield washer, a parking brake alarm, courtesy lights, and body-color directionals (I've been unable to find out if this really meant colored glass, or just a colored assembly without chrome). Sales were still poor due to the still-low horsepower rating, the lack of a manual transmission option, and the high price, and 1,100 cars were still unsold when the year ended, out of a sales goal of 10,000 and a total production of only 3,640. This recreation for Redline has some odd bugs to it as well, mostly that it's 0-60 time is a second too slow and its 0-100 time is 10 seconds too fast! I can't figure out why that is, but obviously it will have to be fixed in the next version, if possible.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2169921280101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C1 R.P.O. 469 with auxiliary hardtop [1956]
0-60 6.1 seconds
0-100 15 seconds
0-100-0 21.8 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:14'44 @ 99 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 122 m.p.h.
When is a Corvette Coupe not a coupe? The answer: When it's a C1. There actually wasn't any true Corvette Coupe before the classic 1963 Split-Window, which was a C2, but from 1956 onward it was possible to order an auxiliary hardtop that could convert your Corvette into a fairly passable pseudo-coupe. In the Vette Pack, I've designed all of these as Coupes, even if it isn't technically an accurate designation. Also new for 1956 was....basically everything. The 1956-1962 model years are still considered today to be C1's, even though the 1956, 1958, and 1961 redesigns were all very significant. The 1956 redesign included a more-or-less completely new body, though, more so than in 1958, when only the front was changed, and 1961, when only the rear was. The 265cid V-8 engine became standard in 1956, with the Blue Flame no longer being offered, but now two performance options were offered, the R.P.O. 469 dual 4-barrel carb option, and the R.P.O. 449 racing option, which included a racing cam. It was still possible to get the Powerglide 2-speed automatic transmission, though, and it remained as an option until 1967, when the Turbo Hydra-Matic 3-speed auto replaced it. The Saginaw 3-speed manual, optional in early 1955, and standard later, remained standard for 1956, and would remain so until 1969, although few people bought it after the 1950's. The differential was another change for 1956, as the old 3.55 solid-axle differential became only available with the Powerglide transmission. The new standard was the 3.7 solid. 1956 was also the first year for optional differential ratios, with 4.11 and 4.56 being offered, although Positraction wasn't an option yet. Power windows were also offered for the first time in 1956, as well as a hydraulic folding top, although these weren't part of the same option. This might have marked one of the first times that power windows were offered on any sports car by any manufacturer. This 1956 Corvette that I've made for Redline includes the dual 4-barrel carb option, and most other options theoretically, including a 4.11 differential. I haven't included the Powerglide, though, and the power windows don't exactly make sense in Redline, so I haven't bothered to model the (very small) switches.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2762309440101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C1 R.P.O. 469A [1958]
0-60 7.5 seconds
0-100 17.1 seconds
0-100-0 23.2 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:15'84 @ 97 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 121 m.p.h.
In 1958, the R.P.O. 579D engine (now with the Airbox air filter of the E)was upgraded moderately to 290 horsepower, but it remained the choice of a minority of Corvette buyers. The dual 4-barrel options remained the norm, with the R.P.O. 469A being the most popular. Not so with the Borg-Warner T-10 transmission, though, and indeed 1958 proved to be the first year when 4-speed transmissions outsold 3-speeds. There were a number of other changes, too, of course. The most obvious thing was the new front end with dual headlights and a smaller grille, which was probably a mistake given that performance numbers dropped out of proportion to the (heavier) weight of the 1958 Corvettes, as well as their higher horsepower ratings. Even the base Corvette was now up to 230 horsepower, yet it was slower than the V-8 Corvette of 1955. On the more positive side, more colors were offered than ever, including Panama Yellow, the first yellow to be offered with a Corvette, and also the last for several years. The interior was also all-new, and featured a tachometer as standard, something that had only been available on the R.P.O. 684 previously. This Corvette for Redline is intended to be reasonably representative, with the R.P.O. 469A engine and the Borg-Warner transmission.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2337320550101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C1 R.P.O. 579D [1959]
0-60 6.9 seconds
0-100 14.5 seconds
0-100-0 21 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:15'62 @ 102 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 131 m.p.h.
1959 saw only a minor redesign to the Corvette, basically consisting of the removal of the louvers on the hood (a 1958-only feature), and some of the chrome, most notably the strips down the trunklid that had been introduced to derision in 1958. Options remained the same, other than the colors, which were altered slightly, and the fact that you could now order sunshades as an option. 67 Corvettes also came with a radiator fan clutch, and metallic brakes were now optional as well. Fuel injection was still rare, but I've included it on this Corvette for Redline, which is supposed to be "loaded." Other options that I've included are the 4-speed transmission, the 4.11 POSI differential, and sunshades.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2919766790101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C1 [1960]
0-60 8.2 seconds
0-100 18.6 seconds
0-100-0 25.4 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:16'68 @ 96 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 120 m.p.h.
In 1960, the exterior styling of the Corvette remained the same as in 1959, although the seats were redesigned and the color choices changed. The sun visors offered as an option previously were now standard. More significant, however, were the internal changes. For one thing, the most powerful fuel-injected engine, still designated R.P.O. 579E, now had 315 horsepower, and the R.P.O. 579 fuel-injected engine (without the "D," which now designated solid lifters, as opposed to the performance cam) now had 275, as opposed to 250 horsepower as in past years. The carbureted engines remained the same. The most significant change, though, was that now the front sway bar previously available only on the R.P.O. 684 now became standard, and the race option became the R.P.O. 687, although the most famous factory racing Corvettes from 1960 would be custom-built mostly, most notably the Cunningham LeMans Corvettes. I've chosen to make this Corvette the most bare-bones standard of them all just to illustrate the difference the sway bar makes, given that this base Corvette can outhandle all previous ones other than the R.P.O. 684.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2435537680101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C1 R.P.O. 354 [1961]
0-60 6 seconds
0-100 12.3 seconds
0-100-0 18.9 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:14'12 @ 107 m.p.h.
In 1961, the most noticeable change for the Corvette was the redesigned "ducktail" rear end, as the options remained more or less the same. The dual taillights that came with the ducktail redesign are a distinctive Corvette feature that remain up to the present day. One technicality for this year was that the 315-horsepower, solid-lifter, fuel-injected 283 V-8 was now designated R.P.O. 354 instead of 579D, and that is indeed the engine that this Corvette for Redline has. I've also found one source that indicates that a PCV system was offered for the first time in this year (it would be standard by 1968, in any case.). In addition, it has the optional 3.7 POSI differential, and the T-10 4-speed transmission.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2978775600101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C1 R.P.O. 582 [1962]
0-60 5.9 seconds
0-100 11.3 seconds
0-100-0 17.9 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:14'04 @ 115 m.p.h.
1962 was the last year for the C1, but it already featured a few C2 features. First of all, the ducktail rearend was carried over from 1961, and would again be carried over into the C2 era, although not with the trunk lid intact (All subsequent Corvette Convertibles would have the trunk accessible via fold-down seats.), and secondly, the classic 327cid "mouse" V-8 was introduced in this year, with respectable performance improvements to match. 1962 was in fact the first year when an easily streetable R.P.O. Corvette could be had which could reach 150 m.p.h., and in fact this was only with the 3.7 differential. The 3.08 "highway" differential also debuted this year. A defroster also became standard this year, along with the heater, which officially had been an option from the beginning (although only factory race Corvettes had omitted it in reality), and the windshield washer. Although the C1 body retained its distinctive side coves (a part of the C1 body since the 1956 redesign), they no longer were available in a seperate color, and on another cosmetic note, the headlight bezels and radiator grille were no longer chromed, giving the 1962 Vette a more brutal look in some respects. This R.P.O. 582 for Redline is "loaded," with its namesake engine, plus the 3.7 POSI differential, and the T-10 4-speed.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2030764790101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L76 [1963]
0-60 5.9 seconds
0-100 12.3 seconds
0-100-0 17.9 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:14'40 @ 108 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 141 m.p.h.
In 1963, it was still possible to get a performance option with a carburetor, and this engine, basically a holdover from 1962's R.P.O. 396, was now designated L76, still with 340 horsepower. I've chosen to build this car for Redline as a convertible so that both the 1963 Coupe and Convertible will be represented, and as of now all but one of the engine options (the L75) is represented as well. This particular car also has the M20 transmission and the 3.7 POSI differential.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2689913320101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L75 [1964]
0-60 6.6 seconds
0-100 13.8 seconds
0-100-0 19.6 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:15'29 @ 105 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 123 m.p.h.
The Corvette Convertible changed even less for 1964 than the Coupe. Basically, the most visible difference was the elimination of the cookie sheet grilles from the hood. To represent the 1964 Convertible, I've attempted to recreate an L75 Corvette, with most of the options short of the F40 handling package, namely the AM/FM radio (or at least some kind of radio), a 3.7 POSI differential, a Muncie M20 4-speed transmission, and spoked alloy wheels.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2610958590101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L84 [1965]
0-60 5.8 seconds
0-100 12.1 seconds
0-100-0 17.9 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:14'14 @ 110 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 143 m.p.h.
The biggest engine option for 1965 was the L78 396cid 4bbl V-8, the first "big block" engine offered as an R.P.O. on the Corvette. It was significant because it killed sales for the L84, as it cost far more than the L78, yet wasn't as powerful. Consequently, 1965 would be the last year that Corvettes were offered with both disc brakes and fuel injection until 1982, and the last year until 1984 when it was possible to buy a Corvette with disc brakes, fuel injection, and a 4-speed manual transmission, all of which this L84 has. Enjoy.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2457407180101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L30 [1966]
0-60 4.7 seconds
0-100 10.4 seconds
0-100-0 15.9 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:13'17 @ 114 m.p.h.
Top Speed: 141 m.p.h.
One of the lesser-known engine options for 1966 was the L30, basically a street-tuned 427 with a street camshaft and hydraulic lifters, which produced 390 horsepower, still more than most engines of the time, and more, it should be noted, than in many muscle cars. I've included a version of it here, partly just for the sake of it, and partly as an excuse to have a 1966 Corvette Convertible for Redline. This one also has the M20 transmission, 3.55 POSI differential, and side pipes, and is almost as fast as the L72 Coupe, at least in Redline.

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 2724804070101000715S425x425Q85
Corvette C2 L71 Coupe [1967]
0-60 4.5 seconds
0-100 9 seconds
0-100-0 14.5 seconds
Quarter Mile: 0:12'69 @ 119 m.p.h.
In 1967, the L75 327 was still the standard engine (since the previous year), and the L79 was still the top 327 option. In 427 engines, you could still buy the L36 (previously the L30), although it was now marketed towards buyers with the Powerglide automatic transmission and air conditioning, as the 327 struggled to achieve normal performance with these options dragging off net horsepower. You didn't necessarily have to be a race driver or street racer to want a 427 in that case. New for 1967, however, was the L68, a downgraded L71 with 400 horsepower that was also marketed to Powerglide buyers. The L72, however, was gone. Why? Because in 1967, Chevrolet finally agreed to sell the L71 as an R.P.O.! The L71 already had three racing seasons behind it as a crate engine, so this was quite a development. 3,738 were sold, too, so it wasn't like it was a special race-only option, either. Zora Duntov actively promoted it as a more practical (and he was probably thinking safer) alternative to the L88, which even more amazingly was offered as an R.P.O also, although only 20 L88's were sold. Duntov's argument was that the L71 worked much better with a street exhaust system and tires, and that these features would strangle an L88. Duntov's theory about it being faster than an L88 doesn't hold true in Redline, though.

Finally....if anyone is wondering what happened to the Vette Convertibles Pack, it's still available here:

http://www.filefront.com/16236651/VetteConvertibles_1.6.zip

or here:

http://www.legacyoflies.com/devuploads/battlewagon/VetteConvertibles_1.6.zip

Battlewagon
Addict
Addict

Back to top Go down

Zora's Laboratory (Vette Dev. Stuff) - Page 2 Empty Redownload???

Post  Battlewagon Sat May 01, 2010 12:01 pm

One quick note....if you downloaded the Vette Pack or Vette Pack Lite earlier today, I found some tiny bugs in the files I uploaded the first time. They won't crash your computer or your Redline, and all the basic features will still work, but some of the extra features will have bugs. I've reuploaded everything as of now, so if you download from now, everything will work.

Battlewagon
Addict
Addict

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Sat May 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Deja vu.
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 691

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2