LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How small can you go????

2 posters

Go down

How small can you go???? Empty How small can you go????

Post  Battlewagon Thu May 21, 2009 11:43 am

Hello everyone. Just a technical question....I'm working on a car that weighs less than a kilo and has less than 1500w of power, with about 4nm of torque. At first my difficulty was with moments of inertia, of course, but I just had to calculate them down very low, and now they seem alright (unless they're the source of my problems right now). The engine was also a challenge, but.........I can't seem to get the tires to move the car now. They just spin helplessly. They've got their stickiness up at .7 now, their friction at 1, their inertia to reflect carbon fiber wheels, and I've temporarily removed the collision box to ensure that the car isn't dragging its belly on the ground. The drag settings are also all at zero now, and still nothing. The car keeps spinning its wheels regardless of gearing, although if I gear it tall enough then the wheels simply won't turn at all. Does anybody know what the problem is? Do Redline cars have a minimum size?????

Battlewagon
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

How small can you go???? Empty Re: How small can you go????

Post  C14ru5 Thu May 28, 2009 11:38 am

From my experience with the karts, all I can say is that you need to stop focusing on numbers in relation to the real world, and instead start playing aroud with the numbers looking for what works and what doesn't. For instance, suspension travel less than 0.04m becomes difficult, and less than 0.01m doesn't work. Inertia values less than 100kgm causes a shivering behavior, at least it did in my karts (where a realistic value in some cases was just above 50kgm). So when you say that the wheels are just spinning, think about what values may cause that behavior, and change a value until the car works.

My guess: You need to raise the wheel inertia, even if that causes the numbers to become unrealistic.
C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 280
Interests : Student / Synth geek / Vinyl collector
Humor : Don't panic, and don't forget your towel.
Favorite Car : Radical SR4 Clubsport
Favorite Track : Black Forest
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum