LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sam Spade on Youtube

4 posters

Go down

Sam Spade on Youtube Empty Sam Spade on Youtube

Post  Toad Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Sorry again for posting something that's not car related, but I wanted to share with you guys one of my all time favorite movies that you can watch on HQ on Youtube. At least till they pull it down for copyright issues. I'm sure some of you have seen it, but I know there are a number of younger people here who might not have heard about it. So:

It's "The Maltese Falcon" 1941 by John Huston. Based on a novel by Dashell Hammet, the first hard boiled dectective story. Black and White. Plot summery: Groups of ne'er do wells meet and talk in rooms in various settings. There's a bird involved too. If it seems slow and dated by today's standards, give it a chance to get going, you will be rewarded. Stick it out until Joel Cairo appears, then see if you can stop watching. Outlandish characters saying astounding things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx7tRtWU5WI&feature=related

Ok, here's some car stuff, sort of: http://www.stephanehalleux.com/
Enter/Portfolio/Cars
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 184
Interests : Nortons
Humor : What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
Favorite Track : Mugello
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Sam Spade on Youtube Empty Re: Sam Spade on Youtube

Post  djpimley Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:53 pm

Hey, Toad. No need to apologise for posting a link to such an absolute classic. cheers

I adore hard-boiled detective fiction so I'm afraid I am going to assault you with petty detail: arguably Hammett's earlier novel, Red Harvest (1929), is the first fully-formed hard-boiled detective novel. It's dark, violent and wonderfully over the top. Elements of the plot have appeared in many films, but the closest anyone has come to capturing the spirit of the novel is the Coen brothers with their exquisite Miller's Crossing.

Does this keep it car related? Razz
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 691

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:15 pm

Agreed, I forgot about Red Harvest. I read it after reading and Seeing Maltese Falcon, and I should go back and read it again. About the only thing I remember now was the violence an the roots of the language you see in all the detective and Film Noir stuff that followed.

My wife can't take the "tone" of Millers Crossing, so I have not seen it in a decade or so. But it's on my Netflix list for when she goes to visit her relatives. And one in French called "Bob Le Flambeur" With hysterical French crooks pronouncing the gang leader's name Ba-oub. Am told the French don't have nicknames for Robert, which only makes it more funny.

djpimley wrote:Hey, Toad. No need to apologise for posting a link to such an absolute classic. cheers

I adore hard-boiled detective fiction so I'm afraid I am going to assault you with petty detail: arguably Hammett's earlier novel, Red Harvest (1929), is the first fully-formed hard-boiled detective novel. It's dark, violent and wonderfully over the top. Elements of the plot have appeared in many films, but the closest anyone has come to capturing the spirit of the novel is the Coen brothers with their exquisite Miller's Crossing.

Does this keep it car related? Razz
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:24 am

Coen Brothers

I never care what the reviewers say. I love everyone of their movies.

Bob Leflambeur, havent seen it yet toad. It was made the year I was born. Smile
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 303
Interests : Music / Redline
Favorite Car : Volvo S60R STCC
Favorite Track : Monaco
Registration date : 2008-08-29

http://legacyoflies.com/tcc/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:32 am

Toad wrote:And one in French called "Bob Le Flambeur" With hysterical French crooks pronouncing the gang leader's name Ba-oub.
Very Happy

Ah, that's Jean-Pierre Melville. I have been meaning to watch his Le Samourai for a long time. I wonder what a French pronunciation will do to "Jef Costello" the hired gun? Laughing
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:43 am

Just added it to my list. Should have it in a few days. Alain Delon, usually a sharp dresser, plays Jef Costello, should be fun.

djpimley wrote:
Toad wrote:And one in French called "Bob Le Flambeur" With hysterical French crooks pronouncing the gang leader's name Ba-oub.
Very Happy

Ah, that's Jean-Pierre Melville. I have been meaning to watch his Le Samourai for a long time. I wonder what a French pronunciation will do to "Jef Costello" the hired gun? Laughing
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Toad wrote:Sorry again for posting something that's not car related, but I wanted to share with you guys one of my all time favorite movies that you can watch on HQ on Youtube. At least till they pull it down for copyright issues. I'm sure some of you have seen it, but I know there are a number of younger people here who might not have heard about it. So:

It's "The Maltese Falcon" 1941 by John Huston. Based on a novel by Dashell Hammet, the first hard boiled dectective story. Black and White. Plot summery: Groups of ne'er do wells meet and talk in rooms in various settings. There's a bird involved too. If it seems slow and dated by today's standards, give it a chance to get going, you will be rewarded. Stick it out until Joel Cairo appears, then see if you can stop watching. Outlandish characters saying astounding things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx7tRtWU5WI&feature=related
s

This KILLS me.. I get all of them downloaded using TubeTV, and all but the last one converted to M4v format (TubeTV chokes on the last one). So, I can watch all but the last 9+ minutes.. AAAGGGHHHHH! Somebody tell me how it ends!

Kenners

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Kenners wrote:
This KILLS me.. I get all of them downloaded using TubeTV, and all but the last one converted to M4v format (TubeTV chokes on the last one). So, I can watch all but the last 9+ minutes.. AAAGGGHHHHH! Somebody tell me how it ends!
Kenners

"You're taking the fall"
then the Elevator to hell

Try it again, the whole thing is there on Youtube.
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:05 pm

Kenners wrote:Somebody tell me how it ends!
The butler did it.
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:25 pm

djpimley wrote:
Very Happy

Watched "Le Samouri" last night. First class fun. There is minimal dialog, but Jef is pronounced Jef . So many nice cars in the streets too. Lot's of Simcas, Dauphine's (my first car, a pos) Citroen's and oddly, at least two Camaro's. Also the coolest phone I have ever seen is on the Police commander's desk.

Thanks for the recommendation DJ.

Last edited by Toad on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell)
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:19 am

Toad wrote:Watched "Le Samouri" last night. First class fun.
Glad to know. I will be watching it soon also. Smile
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down