LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Me gots a MOMO

+4
alphonse
leoantix
DonaemouS
See Flat
8 posters

Go down

Me gots a MOMO Empty Me gots a MOMO

Post  See Flat Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:18 am

As I posted elsewhere, my wife bought me a Momo for Christmas. I'm hoping that you guys might be able to make this painless. Do I have to go through all kinds of motions and tests and trials to get this working or can you guys using a momo just give me a quickstart!

Any pointers or help would be appreciated. I certainly would not want to get frustrated to the point of not wanting to use it!!!

Im asking ahead of times, as I've already seen in the package that no mention of macs in here at all. Just PC installs.

thanks ahead of time.

SF
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 303
Interests : Music / Redline
Favorite Car : Volvo S60R STCC
Favorite Track : Monaco
Registration date : 2008-08-29

http://legacyoflies.com/tcc/index.html

Back to top Go down

Me gots a MOMO Empty Re: Me gots a MOMO

Post  DonaemouS Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:37 am

the best thing, is someone using momo, posting his setup in preferences...

nice xmas gift
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Number of posts : 742
Favorite Car : BMW M Coupe
Favorite Track : Nordschleife
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://www.games4mac.it

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:11 am

what a good wife ... cheers! rendeer

indeed logitech never considered mac users when it came to user goodies ... just plug in and let redline recognize it, both lights on front should glow once redline is loaded

here is a shot of my redline prefs with the momo ... make sure to grab gamepad companion (http://www.carvware.com/gamepadcompanion.html) to stick that PTT TS button on the wheel somewheres Razz

Me gots a MOMO Momosetup

and btw, give it plenty of time ... will be at least a few weeks before you feel comfortable with the momo and redline
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 657
Interests : construction, racing, women, quake
Humor : is purely optional
Favorite Car : sauber c9, radical sr4 & sr8
Favorite Track : lime rock, pembrey, monza
Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.legacyoflies.com/?p=home

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:26 am

Wow SF,

cheers to you and your wife. A nice gift for your for sure, showing acceptance of all time you are spending with the community.

I bought a momo some month ago. My bad it did never work (2nd hand, me unlucky). It simply did not get power but as an USB-device was known by the mac. So - without Force Feedback and any helps of the wheel itself - i had some laps. And its totally different as it comes to driving redline.
If my momo were working and my wife would share your wifes good feelings about a momo Wink i would have spent the time to learn it.

Good luck - and have fun,
alphonse
alphonse
alphonse

Number of posts : 449
Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...
Humor : from black to white (no racism in here)
Favorite Car : Porsche 968, Mini, some C2's, of course the Alfa TCC Wink
Favorite Track : Monaco GP, Imola, Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:14 pm

Good for you See,

Leo's info is all you really need to get going, but here's a couple of additional tips.

Probably, you won't be much better with the wheel right away (you might be a little slower) give it a week or so and can you expect to see results. Try a few laps on tracks with fast long radius turns, that should give you some initial positive feedback on what the wheel does well. You may find that you don't need to choose cars that oversteer quickly.

Leo's settings, are the extreme, I have my steering tolerance set two clicks to the right of his. I can't go straight when set where he has it. Same gas tolerance as Leo. Can't see Leo's FFB setting but I think he uses the max. I'm about 2/3. A good tip from Dandy a while back was to turn the FFB down a bit to help with wheel turning speed. Keyboards have a real advantage here.

A Leo/Giles tip for after you have driven the wheel for a while is to place a squishy ball ( like a sqaush ball) directly behind and under the fulcrum point on the brakes. Gives better feel than the stock with much less movement.

Alphonse, maybe your wheel is like mine: it takes two attempts to make the connection through the usb port. It's connecting to the computer when the wheel rotates on it's own back and forth one time. If it does not connect correctly it's like losing power steering in a real car.
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 184
Interests : Nortons
Humor : What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
Favorite Track : Mugello

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:11 pm

Toad wrote:Good for you See,
Alphonse, maybe your wheel is like mine: it takes two attempts to make the connection through the usb port. It's connecting to the computer when the wheel rotates on it's own back and forth one time. If it does not connect correctly it's like losing power steering in a real car.

Thank you Toad for the tip - it sounds like a great adventure...
I tried connecting it on 4 macs and never saw any light after starting up Redline, neither did it ever rotate by itself. Permanent loss of power steering Crying or Very sad

alphonse
alphonse
alphonse

Number of posts : 449
Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...
Humor : from black to white (no racism in here)
Favorite Car : Porsche 968, Mini, some C2's, of course the Alfa TCC Wink
Favorite Track : Monaco GP, Imola, Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:32 pm

Toad wrote:Good for you See,

Leo's info is all you really need to get going, but here's a couple of additional tips.

Thanks Leo, did get me started real quick and all worked. Man.. this is so much more work than a gamepad. I'm tired after a few races.
Thanks toad of the extra info. I will investigate your alternate settings just to see the difference and see what I prefer. And yes, leo's FFB is on full.

SF
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DANDY Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:26 pm

See Flat wrote:got a wheel
awesome!

I use a mix of toad and leo's....lower ffb most of the time, full steering sensitivity now, though I initially started one tick down. I use separate gas/brake (you need to turn this off to calibrate), and traction assistance is off. These settings make driving tougher but more rewarding imho.

quick tip: dont turn too far....full lock is rare for me.
DANDY
DANDY
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 323
Interests : Auto/Moto (Virtual and actual), Tunes
Humor : Saint-Louis du Ha! Ha!
Favorite Car : 2002 tii
Favorite Track : Schwarzer Wald

http://www.race2play.com/team/prw

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:41 pm

DANDY wrote:
See Flat wrote:got a wheel
I use separate gas/brake (you need to turn this off to calibrate), and traction assistance is off. These settings make driving tougher but more rewarding imho.

quick tip: dont turn too far....full lock is rare for me.

Thanks D

All I need is something to make driving tougher! hehehe Seriously, I do appreciate all input and I think this will be my next step will be fiddling with settings to see what makes it comfortable for me. I'm finding everything a grind right now. Really hard. With leo's settings, I was physically tired after a few races. Damn FFB was very tiring. Maybe a brand new momo has stronger pull than one with a rubber ball under the gas pedal! Wink

Hope everyone will be kind to me... I'm worst than a noob on the track right now.

SF
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Brook Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:45 pm

See Flat wrote:As I posted elsewhere, my wife bought me a Momo for Christmas...
That is one considering wife you got there. Cool
(what did you get for her? - no need to answer that) Razz

You're used to a gamepad and you now have to make more movement (travel) to achieve the same things you're accustomed to. You also have the added bonus of force feedback, which gives you more information about the grip the tires have on the road.

Advice 1: For the time being, turn down the force feedback to a level where it is barely noticeable. You're not used to ffb, so you won't miss it, thus it makes sense to get that out of the equation while you're getting used to the amount of movement you need to make with your wheel and pedals. And it requires a lot less effort to turn that wheel around. You can crank it up later.

Advice 2: The hardest part of a wheel/pedal combination is getting the "feel" into your feet, especially the throttle pedal. Because the springs of the pedals are so light compared to the counterpressure you experience in a real car, it's very hard to judge how much throttle or break you actually apply. This is where the rubber squash ball mentioned earlier fits in. If it's allowed in your househould (and by the temperature), take off your shoes while driving.

Advice 3: Make sure you have a solid base to attach the wheel to. Have you figured out the three way clamping system yet? I ask, because it isn't uncommon for people to overlook the two hidden clamps. Make sure the pedals can't slide on the floor. The latter can easily be solved with antislip products.

I do have an "absolute beginner crash course" for getting used to any type of controller in Redline, but I never got the guts to publish it, because it is definitely boring. If you feel your progress doesn't keep up with your ambitions, give me a "call". You might be the first to test this beginners course. Twisted Evil
Brook
Brook
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:32 pm

Brook wrote:That is one considering wife you got there. Cool
I had mentionned not to be scared to get me something expensive, totally useless that i was too reasonable to get for myself Smile

Advice 1: / Advice 2: / Advice 3:
Your advice makes perfect sense to me, and yes, I had no idea there were two extra clamps. Wheel was not moving though, but perhaps only because I'm not in an exciting tournament at this time Wink Pedals are secure.

I'm finding full throttle particularly tricky. It was easy before not pressing the button for certain cars. Now I'm spinning out a lot.

Thanks for the tips.
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Brook Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:34 pm

See Flat wrote:I'm finding full throttle particularly tricky. It was easy before not pressing the button for certain cars. Now I'm spinning out a lot.

Just to make sure, when you're on analogue controls, the full throttle button no longer serves a purpose, because pressing the throttle all the way *is* full throttle.

Having said that, a word on Traction Assistance:
- Without TA, you are in full control over the amount of gas you apply to your engine. This is the closest approximation to real life (obviously). It is important use the right amount of throttle (not too much and not too little) to avoid spinning out. This setting is more difficult and requires more time to master.
But, it also enhances your entire experience of the available cars.

- With TA ON, Redline helps you when you apply the wrong amount of throttle so you won't spin. Within limits that is, but the tolerance is simply greater. However! Redline does not help you when you fully press the gas pedal. If you do that, it will be the equivalent of the full throttle button.

I assume that, at the moment, you drive with TA on. Just keep in the back of your head, that a fully pressed gas pedal will unleash every cubic inch of power the car has, Traction Assictance or not. Learn to use the throttle pedal as, well, a pedal instead of an on/off "switch".
Brook
Brook
Addict
Addict

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:04 pm

Brook wrote:...the full throttle button no longer serves a purpose, because pressing the throttle all the way *is* full throttle.
...I assume that, at the moment, you drive with TA on.

I figured out my pedal to the metal was full throttle, but did not have TA on... I will give that a try now.

thanks
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Speeddemon Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:40 am

See Flat wrote:Wheel was not moving though
Redline does not have a very good FFB, and the wheel will only try to center, so FFB will be forcing to the center, wherever that is set to. Most games, such as Colin McRea Rally or Ford Racing 2, have better FFB.
Speeddemon
Speeddemon
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 121
Interests : Redline, umm, let's see now, there's got to be another interest I have...
Favorite Car : Lola T300
Favorite Track : Safari Rally
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Brook Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Speeddemon wrote:
Redline does not have a very good FFB, and the wheel will only try to center, so FFB will be forcing to the center, wherever that is set to. Most games, such as Colin McRea Rally or Ford Racing 2, have better FFB.
This almost sounds like you've switched ffb off. Shocked

Are you telling that your wheel doesn't become "light" when your tires loose grip? That, when you crash into the wall, it doesn't rattle from left to right?
Brook
Brook
Addict
Addict

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Brook wrote:
Speeddemon wrote:

Quote out of context.
See Flat wrote: I had no idea there were two extra clamps. Wheel was not moving though,

I meant, even without the two extra clamps, the wheel was not moving on my desk while I was driving.
FFB is working fine.

SF
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Speeddemon Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:22 pm

Brook wrote:
Speeddemon wrote:

Are you telling that your wheel doesn't become "light" when your tires loose grip? That, when you crash into the wall, it doesn't rattle from left to right?
Not really in Redline, but it's been a while, maybe I have forgotten. I remember well though, that it has not as much FFB usage as games like Ford Racing.

See Flat wrote:quote out of context
Whoops, I seem to have missed that. Maybe I shouldn't post before I wake up. Sleep Wink
Speeddemon
Speeddemon
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 121
Interests : Redline, umm, let's see now, there's got to be another interest I have...
Favorite Car : Lola T300
Favorite Track : Safari Rally
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum