LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking out loud - (old) F1-style Qualifying...

5 posters

Go down

Thinking out loud - (old) F1-style Qualifying... Empty Thinking out loud - (old) F1-style Qualifying...

Post  nawckz Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:19 pm

...but without the race afterwards.

Part of the problem with the TTT for me is just that I can't justify spending hours getting that perfect lap - and to a certain degree, it is a test of how long you can spend practicing as well as how good you are.

My thought was therefore to limit the number of laps you could do to say 30 and the fastest time of those 30 laps would be used. The problem of course is how you record those 30 laps. What I wondered about was running a qualifying session similar to how it was done in F1 a few years ago:

• Suitable time would be chosen by whatever method we want
  • Everyone who was participating would join in time for the start, at this point only a single nominated person would know what car & track were to be used
  • The number of laps would be calculated so that it was no more than 40 minutes worth (approx)
  • At the start time the host changes track, forces car, sets number of laps and starts the 'race'
  • Participants are free to use their laps as they see fit: they may do them all in one go, wait for fewer cars to be on the track, do a lap slower in places in order to increase the gap to cars in front, have a break to get a drink etc.
  • Participants not actively lapping would have to wait in the pits, rather than at random points on the track
  • Qualifying would finish after 1 hour, or once everyone had done the allocated laps, whichever came first
  • Everyone would take a screenshot of their fastest laptimes and upload to a topic on the forum
  • The fastest laptimes are used to calculate points as with TTT
  • The overall score would be the average of each session's score, rather than total, to allow for people not being able to make every session

There are a few problems I know - the main one in the race will be cars causing obstructions certainly, but also that by definition only 12 people will be able to take part in a single session, and those in subsequent sessions would theoretically be able to practice outside the session. My thought was just to run different combinations for each race, since it's all relative within a single session it doesn't matter whether the car/track is harder or not.

Brilliant? Pointless? Fun? Unworkable? Smile

nawckz
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Thinking out loud - (old) F1-style Qualifying... Empty Re: Thinking out loud - (old) F1-style Qualifying...

Post  Pax-raider Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:36 pm

Definitely brilliant! bounce

I had been tossing a few ideas around in my head to try and address the same issues you describe. The only drawback I can see is that we bump into the old RRL chestnut of finding a common time for all the participants to do it.

I guess another issue is that the TTT can cope with 20, 30, 50 players, but this system is limited to 12; maybe use the current TTT to determine (say) 8 player groups that stick together for (say) five races, bottom two get relegated one division, top two get promoted for the next "season"...??
Pax-raider
Pax-raider
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 281
Humor : Eddie Izzard, Python
Favorite Car : Ferrari 156 Sharknose
Favorite Track : Monaco
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Thinking out loud - (old) F1-style Qualifying... Empty Re: Thinking out loud - (old) F1-style Qualifying...

Post  leoantix Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm

i think the beauty of pastrl's ttt is the fact that people can race at their own time and leisure, without constraints nor majority grouping. i myself have never been a fan of tt's, for i find it boring and my ADHD starts to kick in unless im distracted by other racers Wink
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 657
Interests : construction, racing, women, quake
Humor : is purely optional
Favorite Car : sauber c9, radical sr4 & sr8
Favorite Track : lime rock, pembrey, monza
Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.legacyoflies.com/?p=home

Back to top Go down

Post  pEsT Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:35 pm

the problem "only 12" could maybe solved by two (or more) hosts at the same time.
the hosts get track and car a few minutes before start by the "tournament leader"

pEsT
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 36
Humor : WHAT?
Favorite Car : buildin: VTT - plugin: Radical
Favorite Track : buildin: HSL - plugin: Silverstone
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuktuk Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:15 pm

If you can collect 12 players together this time should be used to race and not for TT's only. Its more fun.

I love the TTT but when I see an interesting MP I prefer that and try to switch.

Tuktuk
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down