LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DL Off roadin' game

+2
slowDan
DonaemouS
6 posters

Go down

DL Off roadin' game Empty DL Off roadin' game

Post  DonaemouS Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:43 am

early this year, DannyL, before leaving the community started an Off road game. The first build was... well "a first build", but it's look like the Unity 2.0 game engine could have good chance to do better.

I really, really don't have knowledge in programming stuffs, but, perhaps, thesnail have the right knowledge and, if we will get involved GilesW (who already developed other Macintosh Games), we can start a good team to base our efforts.

For us, we already have knowledge in 3D stuffs, we can port our creatures to this game engine, as built in cars and tracks.

Is this could be possible or not.

Naturally, I was not able to ask this kind of question on a asw proprietary forum, but now...
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Number of posts : 742
Favorite Car : BMW M Coupe
Favorite Track : Nordschleife
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://www.games4mac.it

Back to top Go down

DL Off roadin' game Empty Re: DL Off roadin' game

Post  slowDan Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:58 am

A full driving simulator is a huge project, you would need several completely mad people and several years to get where Jonas has left us. Wink Or a really good base to start from...

Giles was talking about Vdrift at one point. It looks great but has some big missing features, but they have a good framework to build on. If they could fix the lack of grip it would be even better! The real missing piece is that there is no working multiplayer and that is what gets people playing. If that was in, I'd be there doing what I can, but if I want to race against other people, Redline it is!
slowDan
slowDan
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 92
Interests : Design/Racing!
Favorite Car : Porsche 968 RS Turbo
Favorite Track : Spa Francorchamps

http://slowdan.co.nr

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:35 am

slowDan wrote:A full driving simulator is a huge project, you would need several completely mad people and several years to get where Jonas has left us. Wink Or a really good base to start from...
This is right, but i would not to develop the game will replace Gran Turismo or Forza Motor Sport.

Redline is a one man game, and this one:

http://www.3dnemo.com/2CV6

plus DannyL showcase, is another one man game. Look at cars, at sceneries. Unity3D has integrated crossplatform capacities both for release game (Mac, Linux, PC) and for network (TCP/IP Mac vs All). A good start could call PC gamers, modellers and people knowing about developing stuffs, and perhaps Unity3D code.

slowDan wrote:Giles was talking about Vdrift at one point. It looks great but has some big missing features, but they have a good framework to build on. If they could fix the lack of grip it would be even better!
I tried this game, and it completely suck. The car move as they running on a central ball under the plane. The wheel feel just not real, and as u wrote, there is no network code at all.
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

DL Off roadin' game Empty mac simulator games

Post  leoantix Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:55 am

i've tried both games very briefly and wasn't impressed with either one, i do understand they are early in development. as simple and basic as redline is, the physics engine and multiplayer are two features that really impress me here. yes, plenty of things that can be fixed or tweaked, im sure we all have our lists, yet still pretty darn good for a mac and one lonely man (jonas).

yet im sure as redline gets older and as the community ages and slowly (i hope very far off in the future) starts to dwindle, we may need a replacement for our addictions monkey

note: i really hope when 1.0.5 gets released soon we will see some good fixes and perhaps even the ones "we" requested
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 657
Interests : construction, racing, women, quake
Humor : is purely optional
Favorite Car : sauber c9, radical sr4 & sr8
Favorite Track : lime rock, pembrey, monza
Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.legacyoflies.com/?p=home

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:22 pm

leoantix wrote:yet im sure as redline gets older and as the community ages and slowly (i hope very far off in the future) starts to dwindle, we may need a replacement for our addictions monkey
Indeed and you already know what this mean. Look at Q3. Yes it was one the most played game ever, but people moved out. Some to D3, then Q4 now Q3L.

Redline is really good, but it is, as I already wrote, because we never had other chances to compare it. I mean. Is good better then what?

Then nothing, because if we had games like rfactor, the arcadish nfs: prostreet or the amazing REAL drive simulator Forza MotorSport 2, I don't think we was still playing with Redline. Also, look at what GGL created. The first "ClanBase" for virtual racers enthusiasts.
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:51 pm

/me drools over the webpage ... agreed Razz
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:07 pm

[quote="DonaemouS"]
leoantix wrote:Then nothing, because if we had games like rfactor, the arcadish nfs: prostreet or the amazing REAL drive simulator Forza MotorSport 2, I don't think we was still playing with Redline.

It is probably true. I used to play many sims on pc's. rfactor is just great. but the community is not that great.
i played it alone, because of the dumbasses around...

its the mp that makes redline a great experience - and the community, over all, is gentle and nice.
i hope to have many more great races with you guys...

alphonse
alphonse
alphonse

Number of posts : 449
Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...
Humor : from black to white (no racism in here)
Favorite Car : Porsche 968, Mini, some C2's, of course the Alfa TCC Wink
Favorite Track : Monaco GP, Imola, Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:17 pm

agreed much so ... the community above all is what got me addicted to the game. alas, with love being blind i compromised on all the bells and whistles of the other simulation candy ... no regrets though cherry
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:46 pm

leoantix wrote:i really hope when 1.0.5 gets released soon we will see some good fixes and perhaps even the ones "we" requested
Well, hope and expectation are two different things. No
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 691

Back to top Go down

DL Off roadin' game Empty 1.0.5? Where?! What?! When!?

Post  JW Barto Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:01 am

As a modest geek I am intrigued by this talk of a Redline update. Is there any info online about it?

Thanks,
JW cyclops
JW Barto
JW Barto
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 54
Favorite Car : Cheetah
Favorite Track : Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:33 pm

JW Barto wrote:As a modest geek I am intrigued by this talk of a Redline update. Is there any info online about it?
as not to let the cat completely out of the bag ... two weeks ago i was contacted by the ceo of ambrosia, Andrew Welch, regarding a possible "official add-ons page switch". this lead to many questions by me as to when, how, and if. one of things he mentioned, is that their biggest priority at the moment was to push "1.0.5 out the door asap". this hopefully meaning sooner than later, and then the switch would be focused on and delt with. unfortunately, that is all the details i could get out of him about the next release.
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  slowDan Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:07 pm

JW Barto wrote:As a modest geek I am intrigued by this talk of a Redline update. Is there any info online about it?
I'm sure there was a thread about it on the other board. Wink

Main user changes were (IIRC), the auto gear box might actually be able to handle things like dj's truck, and the display limit on tracks being fixed. There were a few more car tweaking fixes I think but nothing that the average racer might notice. Of course there could always be a big surprise! Very Happy
leoantix wrote:
"official add-ons page switch".

I knew you were doing a good job. I just didn't realise that they knew you were! Laughing
slowDan
slowDan
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 92
Interests : Design/Racing!
Favorite Car : Porsche 968 RS Turbo
Favorite Track : Spa Francorchamps

http://slowdan.co.nr

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:51 am

well the redline update is here ... lets see if they were serious about the switch
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down